Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sfc/scannow found corrupt files but unable to repair

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hi folks, i ran chkdsk/R numerous times even in safe mode and i am unable to repair these files it seems ,  i got rid of an infection so now i'm just trying to get the corrupt files to be overwriiten.

I ran Windows repair also and still i have corrupt files, any ideas

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'm not a fan of removal, partly for the issue you are now having.  If you had backed up and reload you probably would have spent less time than trying to remove and get the system working again.

Since it looks like an important file is either missing or corrupted a back up and reload of the machine is what I would recommend.

#3 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

Might want to run HD diags first.

Download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) to CD. It has Hard Drive diagnostics (plus much more). Simply boot your computer from this CD and select the utility you want to run.

Note: If you aren't sure who made the hard drive in your computer, use Seagate's Seatools as it will work with most any make of drive.

The following instructions may prove helpful for burning the UBCD .iso file to disc: How can I write (burn) ISO files to CD or DVD?

Edited by SpywareDoc, 26 December 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

Note: If you aren't sure who made the hard drive in your computer, use Seagate's Seatools as it will work with most any make of drive.

Notice:  SeaTools for DOS will run on all manufacturer's hard drives, but may not recognize the hard drive if the Storage Configuration is not set in a configuration which SeaTools will recognize. 

If the motherboard has a Intel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to AHCI.

If the mohterboard has a Marvel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to IDE.

To determined how your storage is configured open the Device Manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.This will expand the tree allowing you to see your storage configuration.

If you need to change the configuration you will have to go into the BIOS to make the change.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the responses and suggestions,  actually i do have a backup but i wasn't planning on using it unless absolutely necessary.   It's a backup thats a bit older but i know it's clean.

I guess my question should of been , is the chkdsk/R the thing to run when noticing corrupt files,   i heard that sometimes you need to run a certain chkdsk numerous times to get it to work well.   I used to use chkdsk/F but someone told me that doesn't do much and go with the chkdsk/R .

Oh, one more question, does having corrupt files usually indicate malware of some kind or can it be caused by other means.

Thanks again 

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

Chkdsk /R function include identifying and locating bad sectors and recovering any readable information,

it also includes functions of the switch /P, which checks the drive and corrects any errors.

It also implies and includes all functions of the switch /F.

Corrupt files can be a symptom of many things.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Use this method for the Check Disk R, instead of typing the word(s)

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows 7:
• Click Start and open Computer
• Right-click on C: (or your hard drive letter) and select Properties
• Click on the Tools tab
• Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
• Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
• Click on the Start button
• When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and Restart your computer
• Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
This will take (on average) 1 to 2 hours depending on your system, so please let it finish.
DO NOT force a reboot once started a you will lose data and may damage the computer.
NOTE - If this is a Laptop please plug it into a reliable power source, as batteries may fail.
The computer will reboot to normal mode once it has completed all 5 stages -

To run sfc /scannow

Go - Start > Programs > Accessories > Find Command Prompt, and Right click on it > Select Run as administrator -

Now type sfc /scannow and press enter, also note the space between c and / as it must be there.

This program will need to run on average 3 or 4 times if any errors are found.

It will take (on average) 15 to 20 minutes to run the program.

Do Not perform anything else on the computer while this runs

Just My Versions of How to run these programs.

For SeaTools for DOS please take full notice of what dc3 tells you -

Thank You -

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Chkdsk /R function include identifying and locating bad sectors and recovering any readable information,

it also includes functions of the switch /P, which checks the drive and corrects any errors.

It also implies and includes all functions of the switch /F.

Corrupt files can be a symptom of many things.

Let me see if I can help you out here. :thumbup2:

chkdsk /p is a diagnostic switch, it will scan the disc but will make not changes.

chkdsk /f  Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer. For example, on the C: drive.

chkdsk /r  Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked. /r includes the functionality of /f, with the additional analysis of physical disk errors.

There are another six switches that I'm aware of.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users