Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot, stays as black screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 adrenalin95

adrenalin95

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

While my computer was running idle, I had my side panel off, messing with my 1tb hdd to try to get it to be detected, as it has been having problems. While hooking it up, the power came loose to my ssd, and now my computer wont even boot into bios, it just stays as a black screen. When I turn it on the fans and LEDs light up like normal, but nothing is displaying on the screen. I don't have a clue what to do or how to fix it, soaAny advice is appreciated!

Gigabyte z77 series motherboard

i5 3570k

8 gigs of ram

gtx 660

120g kingston ssd

1tb wd green hdd

Edit: For clarification, my OS was on the SSD that accidentally got unplugged.

Edited by adrenalin95, 26 December 2013 - 11:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

With the machine powered OFF I'd recommend re-seating the RAM and video card (if you have one).

#3 adrenalin95

adrenalin95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

With the machine powered OFF I'd recommend re-seating the RAM and video card (if you have one).

Alright thanks I will try this.

#4 adrenalin95

adrenalin95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

I re-seated both, and unfortunately the problem still persists. Is it likely that the SSD accidentally getting unplugged damaged hardware inside my computer?

#5 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Disconnecting/reconnecting internal components while running can cause direct shorts which can instantly kill electronic components. Electrostatic discharge (ESD) is another possiblilty.

#6 adrenalin95

adrenalin95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Disconnecting/reconnecting internal components while running can cause direct shorts which can instantly kill electronic components. Electrostatic discharge (ESD) is another possiblilty.

Would you say this is probably the case if my computer won't boot and I can't get into the bios? Or is there anything else I could try before beginning to replace hardware?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

This probably will not work but you can try this. Uplug the power cord from the computer. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Plug the computer back in and try to boot. You might also want to clear the BIOS using the jumper on the motherboard.

#8 adrenalin95

adrenalin95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

Just tried it and unfortunately it didn't work :(. I also did remove and re-insert the cmos battery earlier, but that didn't help either.

#9 adrenalin95

adrenalin95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Ok so I left it at the black screen with the computer on for around 5 minutes, and it finally booted up. I don't have my ssd connected, however, so I can't get into my OS, but it is still a good sign that it has finally gotten past the black screen. Would anyone know what this delayed boot time could be caused by?

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Trying to find the SSD and/or boot drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users