Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

loads of problems in vista...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 circe801

circe801

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

i have a compaq a945us laptop.  running vista home premium.  have learned lots of things over the years and when something goes wrong, i learn to fix it, but now there is too much to fix... long time to start, long time to shut down.

NEW problems.  the green vista kernel loading bar, which used to cycle 7 or 8 times now cycles SEVENTY, 71 or 72 times before the windows logo page comes up.  THEN, (and this is for a while) the 'welcome' page takes a while.  but, after that, (with my recent clean boot settings), my desktop comes RIGHT up--which didn't used to happen--taskbar would show, desktop would flash between my background and black, eventually coming on full.

now, this is the "routine"--what i go through to start.  this has been going on for a couple of years.  after logging in, a uac note comes up--'system properties change computer name', which i have to cancel to continue.  it USED to be a regular small popup, now it's the larger one which asks to even show the small one.  i've been hitting 'cancel' on the 'cancel' or 'allow', though if i hit 'allow', the small uac popup comes and i hit 'cancel' on that.  no forums have been able to give me ANY info on what that means. 

then, the 'low disk space on 'd' drive' comes up (which makes no sense--that is hp recovery partition and that is ALL that exists there...)--have to hit 'cancel' on that.  THEN, i USED to have to wait until EVERYTHING started--including sidebar--before i could go online, and when i hit the firefox in the quickstart taskbar, i'd have to do it twice before the browser would come on.  sure, it showed on task manager, but took a LONG time to come up.  now, with the clean boot, i don't have that problem either.

however, all of a sudden, with the clean boot, every time i start, i have to start the firewall manually.  it no longer comes on by itself, nor defender--i get that popup saying it's not on.  only reason i'm running it is every time i try and do either a malwarebytes scan or a kapersky scan, the pc freezes up during scanning, though, i'm pretty sure it's clean.  defender and spybot say so...

o, and also--since the clean boot, my cursor again seems to have a mind of its own, which i kind of took care of a while ago, but now it's back.  so, what i'm trying for here is one of you whizzes will have SOME kind of info, answer and help--if ANYONE has ANY ideas.  please let me know what you might need and i'll post it.  thanks so much in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Backup your stuff, run RAM and HDD diags and if everything checks out, reinstall the OS and restore your stuff.

Edited by SpywareDoc, 26 December 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#3 circe801

circe801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Backup your stuff, run RAM and HDD diags and if everything checks out, reinstall the OS and restore your stuff.

thanks, spyware doc.  only prob is this--apparently my dvd drive is not working to dl a backup...

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

Actually, doing a Clean Boot is a good idea, but you don't want to leave all the non-microsoft services disabled.  If the Clean Boot made the computer run better then there is evidence that this is a service which is causing part of the problem.  I say part of the problem because it looks like you may have several things which need to be addressed.  We will get back to the Clean Boot in a bit.

I would like for you to do is to run a Speccy scan, then run chkdsk c: /r, and then sfc /scannow, in that order.  I know that this computer is slow, but this would be the best option short of backing up your data and using the System Recovery partition to return the computer to its original state as it came out of the box.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

Click on the Start, type in cmd in the Search box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter.  Please notice the space between the chkdsk and the /r.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start and type cmd in the Search box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

commandprompt_zps212bc71a.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users