Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Shut Down Or Reboot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 angelface

angelface

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

When I go to "turn off computer" in the start menu, the little window pops up (buttons that say standby, turn off, and restart), but if I click on any one of them the window closes - and nothing happens. My instinct is to restart manually and see if the problem goes away, but I can't even seem to do that. I am used to older computers with a manual power switch; this is my mom's laptop, a compaq presario 2100 running win Xp home. It has a power button at top left of the keyboard, but it only seems to make it "hibernate," rather than shut down

It amuses me that "i cant shut down my computer" is the example given for how to post a topic - hopefully that means there is an answer?

Sorry if this is a "stupid question", but I did my best to find an already posted discussion of it, to no avail. What could be happening? how can I fix it? How can I force reboot on this machine?

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

To manually shut down your computer hold down the power key for 5-10 seconds. Try that out.

Tell me your results when you're done if you wouldn't mind.

Hope I helped :-)
- Insan3

Edit: By the way, did you get your name off the movie FightClub?

Edited by U R Insan3, 06 May 2006 - 08:47 PM.

-TJB

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:22 PM

Windows does not like being shut down with the power button. Doing so can cause problems. Did you install any new software or change settings before this started happening? Good chance this is caused by malware. Take a look at this and work through the scans - you might find something on your machine you didn't invite. Checking for problems might cure it. You can also run the System File Checker from a command window. Go to Start -> Run and type:
cmd
. . . and hit enter. This will open a black, DOS-like box. At the prompt, type:
sfc /scannow
. . . and make sure you have the space between the c and the /.
Let Windows check for missing or corrupted files.

#4 angelface

angelface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:42 PM

Thanks. That helped. Hopefully it worked...
I appreciate your replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users