Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help understanding BSOD minidump files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skypilotpete

skypilotpete

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:20 AM

Over the last couple of months I have been getting sudden BSOD crashes about once a week. My computer always restarts without problems, but I would like to track down what is causing the problem.

After searching posts here, I have run BlueScreenView, and the report is copied here. Unfortunately I only have the latest memory dump, as I run Ccleaner every day and it is set to clear memory dumps - I've now cleared that setting.

==================================================
Dump File         : 122613-70730-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 26/12/2013 4:52:47 PM
Bug Check String  : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code    : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1       : fffffa80`0ab5e000
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : fffff880`04ae9375
Caused By Driver  : cmudaxp.sys
Caused By Address : cmudaxp.sys+28375
File Description  : C-Media Audio WDM Driver
Product Name      : C-Media Audio Driver (WDM)
Company           : C-Media Inc
File Version      : 7.12.8.1794
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\122613-70730-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 292,296
Dump File Time    : 26/12/2013 4:55:04 PM
==================================================

My speccy report is here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TehbZBrDsLLyJ5El7Bffcfz

The problem appears to be associated with an audio driver, but I don't know whether the audio driver listed by BlueScreenView is the one associated with my sound card, or something else entirely. I have recently updated my sound card driver to the latest official version. I'm not sure if I should uninstall and re-install it, or whether this could be an indication that there is a fault in the sound card itself.

Any assistance will be very gratefully received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:53 AM

Hi

The only crash report you posted shows the audio driver as the reason behind the crashes. From the Speccy report it seems that your audio device is an Asus Xonar card. So please uninstall the audio driver and it's related softwares completely from the system. Then download and install the latest version from official Asus support page.

Driver download page : http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Xonar+DX&os=22

Version: 7.0.8.1821 which is released on 2013/10/03 is the latest revision.

#3 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:28 AM

Thanks for the advice. Something really weird seems to have been going on, because I have had no end of problems with this. I uninstalled the sound card driver, restarted, and attempted to reinstall. The installation process took forever, and eventually gave me a message that there was no sound card installed. I then tried to turn the computer off to check that the sound card had not come loose, but the computer would not shut down and I had to turn it off via the start button. I couldn't find any problem with the sound card connectors, and tried to restart the computer - but it would not power up at all. The hard drive was whirring, but the boot process did not even begin. I removed the sound card completely, and it still wouldn't boot. I was forced to call my go-to computer tech, who came to my home and got it going again. He reset the bios and disconnected various power cables and reseated the ram. He said something about the power having shorted out (or something like that) and that disconnecting the power cable to the mother board and re-seating the ram forces this to reset (or something along those lines). After all this, the sound card driver has been re-installed correctly. Now I will have to wait and see if the BSOD fault has gone away or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users