Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game lags after updating to Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 niknak309

niknak309

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

i just got a toshiba satellite C55-A running 64 bit windows 8 for christmas and i downloaded combat arms , minecraft ...ect they ran perfectly ...until i updated to windows 8.1 and had to update toshibas software now when i load combat arms and go in to a game it wont let me shoot and when it does it is very laggy and would shoot without me touching anything , ANY help would be helpful thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ronakraj

ronakraj

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Dear niknak309 try to close the background apps (other than windows operations) in task manager and then see the lagg has gone or not. May be after updating to windows 8.1 your default graphic card may be changed to your laptop processer shared graphic memory. so try selecting the graphic card by right clicking on game's launcher and select 'run with graphic processer' and then your graphic card name. I hope this may solve your problem. Reply if this solution not works

#3 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

i just got a toshiba satellite C55-A running 64 bit windows 8 for christmas and i downloaded combat arms , minecraft ...ect they ran perfectly ...until i updated to windows 8.1 and had to update toshibas software now when i load combat arms and go in to a game it wont let me shoot and when it does it is very laggy and would shoot without me touching anything , ANY help would be helpful thanks

Upgrading to 8.1 sometimes installs generic video drivers.  Have you tried updating your video drivers in Device Manager?

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Cryptodan, here is the Out of the box Spec's on that computer http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/satellite_C55-A5393.pdf

For the OP, you need at least a minimum of 8gb RAM to run Windows 8.x decent.  If you are wanting to play games on it, Suggest bumping it up to 16GB RAM.  As for the Graphics, it is not the best for playing any decent games, you will see a lot of lag, with the Intel Mobile GPU chipset that is in it, no matter what you do RAM wise.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

I know how to get the specs, I am requesting a speccy to look at the temps, services running, and hard drive space on that machine.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

I know how to get the specs, I am requesting a speccy to look at the temps, services running, and hard drive space on that machine.

The Toshiba laptops tend to run warm, due to the way they did the cooling for the CPU & GPU.  I have this cooling pad http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VC9F0Q/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Because otherwise my Satellite C850D would be pushing 131ºf if I didn't.  With the Cooling pad, it keeps the temps down to around 110.

Yes temps can be an issue, but most likely I am going to say that it is due to the type of GPU they have installed onBoard.  The Satellite C55-Axxxx Series is not considered a gaming type laptop.  It is more of an everyday or Economy laptop.  These are what are considered Performance/Gaming laptops under Toshiba's available systems http://www.toshiba.com/us/customlanding.to?page=Satellite_P_Series#25+216+366+367+368+369+4294946613+4294946643%7E100%7E0%7Ep_Featured

The Qosmio X series is the top of their line, when it comes to wanting something that can handle higher spec'd games, that require a lot of horsepower.  http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/qosmio

Even with mine & my son's C850D series Satellites, which both have the same specs, but one has a platter drive the other a SSD, even playing stuff like Minecraft, etc. will lag on our systems.  Now of course I could load up a Linux distro, and blow Windows 8 out of the water, and get rid of the lag, if I really wanted to.

Personally 8.x sucks when it comes to playing any type of games on it.  Very well spoken on other forums that 8.x was not designed with gaming in mind.

#8 niknak309

niknak309
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

thank all of you who replied to me , but since i just got it and i didnt have much on there i restored it back to factory settings .. deleting windows 8.1 and all the updates and now it runs perfectly again

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

thank all of you who replied to me , but since i just got it and i didnt have much on there i restored it back to factory settings .. deleting windows 8.1 and all the updates and now it runs perfectly again

Good to hear.  I would still look to push the RAM to the max.  Right now Crucial.com has 16gb ($0.16 a GB) for $172 (2 8gb modules).  SSD's right now are running around $0.83 a GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users