Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer decided to give me a Christmas present by freezing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 halosom

halosom

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

Okay man this blows once again i'm currently running windows vista 32 on my Dell XPS M1730. Before leaving the house to head to a family Christmas party, I had a gut feeling my laptop would do something lame while I was away, close to 2 hours later I come back and noticed that the timer on the laptop wasn't moving, so I knew it froze while I was away, so I do a hard reboot get pass the loading then when it gets the the windows logo screen it just freezes and started making a constant annoying sound, then again I turned it off the started it up again and it freezes at the windows logo but this time no constant sound coming from it. so I reboot one more time still the same, so this time I reboot into safe mode, which I can get in no problem. So now I decided to do a CHKDSK as of 8:40pm CST and it's currently running still at 25% complete and the time is now 10:11pm CST, hopefully it will start moving again cause I'm thinking it froze at 25% in CHKDSK. If buy chance it's stuck at 25% in the next few hours what should I do? but hopefully it will complete then if that doesn't fix the problem, hopefully I think I made a restore point and will try to do that next before coming back for more help

Any thoughts on this will be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:24 AM

For verification: You have a Dell XPS M1730 laptop with OS windows vista 32-bit

--- It would be a good idea to post the amount of installed memory and the size of the hard drive

You had a gut feeling that your laptop would do something lame

--- What does that mean?

--- Have you been having problems with it?

--- If so, what were they?

The timer on the laptop wasn't moving. What exact time, year & time zone is it at?

--- Have you tried adjusting the date/time setting and/or in the BIOS?

The computer freezes upon normal boot at the logo screen

--- One time there was a constant annoying sound but it hasn't happened again

--- Although this has nothing to do with the noise, are your startups set up to have only a minimum that's needed?

You can get into Safe Mode ok

--- This a good thing and should allow you some flexibilty to work on whatever is happening

You are running CHKDSK but it's been stuck at 25% for at least 1 1/2 hours

--- What stage is it at?

--- I wouldn't do another hard shut down yet. I know it's a long time but wait it out in case someone else has an idea on what to do

#3 halosom

halosom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

Well CHKDSK didn't work out for me, left it over night and it didn't move at all, so I just rebooted and tried to go in safe mode, that didn't work out for me either. Then I decided to take out the Sata HDD and used a Sata HDD caddy and plugged into my other computer, and each drive looked fine even did a check error on both. Nothing wrong with ever drive, then I had to go find my backup for my dell xps m1730 which after a bit I finally found it and started the backup on them computer from a later date, and now it's working again, so I was wondering what might of been the cause of my computer freezing up/locking up, bad driver maybe or something else. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

Great recovery. The best part is you had a backup and it saved the day. I wish the people I work with would take the time to do backups. As far as to what happened might have happened it's pretty difficult to tell. Something happened between the time of the backup you used and the day the computer acted up. However the good news is you are back in business; keep up your backups, continue to make sure the computer stays well maintained and protected. Have a happy new year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users