Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Spam Filter

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Fern

Silver Fern

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:19 PM

Even tho I'm very careful who I give my email address to and frequenly scan my computer for spyware I'm still getting too much spam thro.
I've looked at the programmes available that will help to sort out the spam from my emails and found "JetMailMonitor' Cowan system. It gets a good write up, I'm wondering if anyone uses this programme and the usefulness of it.
Thanks.
Life is a journey not a destination;
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:45 PM

First off, it's it says it's newsletters that you are subscribed to, at the bottom of each email there should be a unsubscribe link. Yes. I know you didn't subscribe to any of these probably, but your email gets signed up one way or another.

A solution:

Use 2+ emails. 1 as your primary email for friends, family, or business. The others for signing up with websites and registrations.

Hope I helped :-)

-Insan3

Edited by U R Insan3, 06 May 2006 - 08:46 PM.

-TJB

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:11 PM

The reason it's called Spam is . . . well, who knows what the heck it has to do with canned pork shoulder? But in computerese, Spam means something that's sent out en masse. The reason you get it is because they send it to every possible name there is. Some ISPs have filters that remove much of it, usually based on the fact that a lot of people are getting exactly the same message. Some have no filters at all and you're on your own.

Personally, instead of Outlook Express, I use Thunderbird for my email because it has a learning capability and although it does not automatically remove Spam, it has the capability to remove it before you open any of it - real handy when avoiding HTML bombs.

It also will not open images before you choose to do so. You just check through to make sure that the marked messages are spam, unmark the ones you want to keep, mark the ones you don't, and eventually, it is pretty good at keeping track. You choose "delete all mail marked as junk in folder" from the Tools menu and it's all gone at once. It comes this way "out of the box," and it's free. It will automatically import folders and email from OE when you install it.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in trying, get it here.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:05 AM

The reason it's called Spam is . . . well, who knows what the heck it has to do with canned pork shoulder?

http://www.templetons.com/brad/spamterm.html

The term spam started with a skit by Monty Python's Flying Circus. In the skit a restaurant serves all its food with lots of spam, and the waitress repeats the word several times in describing how much spam is in the items. When she does this, a group of Vikings in the corner start a song:

"Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, lovely spam! Wonderful spam!"

Until told to shut up.

I also have recently noticed an increase in spam in my mail, and I switched to Thunderbird as Herk has suggested, it's a little time consuming getting it set up enitially, but it's worth it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:20 PM

Thanks, Thunderbird is something like a programme that I'm looking for. I'll take a look, do you know from what web site it can be downloaded?
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#6 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:25 PM

quote; Use 2+ emails. 1 as your primary email for friends, family, or business. The others for signing up with websites and registrations;

I have had 2 email address for years, that's why I can't understand why I'm getting so much spam in one of them. I can't help but think some spyware must be in my computer, but the anti spyware programmes aren't picking up on it. :thumbsup:
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

I use Cable One - much of my spam is filtered by them and I have to go in and check it every so often to clean it out and make sure they didn't get a good one by mistake. I still get several spams a day in my inbox that sneak by their censors. I never use my Hotmail account, but have to go in there and clean out the spam every so often - it loads up regularly. Stuff is spammed to anywhere and I even get stuff that isn't apparently addressed to me.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

Silver Fern,

Thunderbird can be downloaded from http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

Be (Spamalot) Safe :thumbsup:

Da Bleeepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:46 PM

Thanks everyone, you're the best. :thumbsup:
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

I linked to Thunderbird at the end of Post #3. (That underline thing - that's a link.)

#11 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:07 PM

SpamBayes

http://spambayes.sourceforge.net

#12 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:04 PM

I linked to Thunderbird at the end of Post #3. (That underline thing - that's a link.)

Yep, sorry, I didn't see that. :thumbsup:
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#13 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:55 AM

The reason it's called Spam is . . . well, who knows what the heck it has to do with canned pork shoulder?

http://www.templetons.com/brad/spamterm.html

The term spam started with a skit by Monty Python's Flying Circus. In the skit a restaurant serves all its food with lots of spam, and the waitress repeats the word several times in describing how much spam is in the items. When she does this, a group of Vikings in the corner start a song:

"Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, lovely spam! Wonderful spam!"

Until told to shut up....

I thought it was an acronym for Self Promotional Advertising Message :thumbsup:

Thank you for the link

#14 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:51 AM

SPAM = Stupid People Agitating Me ???
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#15 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:05 PM

SPAM = Stupid People Agitating Me ???

right on. :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Closed open tag ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 13 May 2006 - 06:22 PM.

Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users