Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading to Windows 7 over XP that was installed over Vista

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy Arrrgh

Wendy Arrrgh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hi folks. Five years ago, an IT tech at work installed on my new Dell Inspiron 519, what was then a licensed XP Pro for work-at-home over the Vista my Dell came with. It took him about a week, maybe because he had to also install dozens of programs and apps my job at a large institution required, and various data and media from years past, which I still have. I'm now retired and my Dell is only for personal use - online business/health/pension, etc. accounts, web surfing, email, Windows Office 7.  I'm definitely NOT a techie, although I maintain my own computer, with many failures and a somewhat acceptable (to me) number of successes. I'm thinking it's very likely the whole shebang will come crashing down when upgrading the os, and although I could buy a new computer with Win 7 loaded if necessary, I'm scared I'll lose years worth of stuff.  And would prefer not to incur the cost of a new computer.

Should I even attempt to install Windows 7 over Windows XP Pro over Windows Vista? If so, hard installation or online upgrade?

A reply to a similar question someone posted said to back up an image or clone first.  I've never been able to find a clear answer to what an image of an entire operation system is, much less a clone. When I bought my WD MyBook external hard drive I thought it would back up my whole system, but it only backs up some data files. How can I back up an image or clone, and to what? I currently don't have any cloud backup, but I'm sure I can purchase it. What kind of cloud backup would be sufficient for this whole system backup?

I'm sorry this is more than one question, but I'm trying to save people's time by not replying to every answer with another question.  Thanks so much for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Quite honestly, I would do keep the data backs ups and forget about everything. You can re-install your programs and stuff you want that is related to you and your personal use such as Office for typing and excel for accounting if you use it.

Then see if you still have the recovery partition for Vista of see if you can get Windows 7 Installation media.

#3 xendistar

xendistar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:48 AM

The first question I would ask, is upgrading the PC worth it? It is 5 years old but is the spec of the PC sufficient to run windows 7 adequately, can you get drivers for all the hardware on the Dell (motherboard drivers, network card, graphics, sound)? You probably can but if one is not available then it could make life difficult upgrading, also will all the programs you have run under windows 7?

If you answer yes to the above then I would suggest either backing up (I use Paragon Backup and Recovery (free version) my data, creating a disk image (I use Maricum Reflect (free version) to create images on my entire drive) or alternatively get a 2nd hard disk and install Win7 on to that and dual boot the PC between XP and 7. If you do use the old computer and want to install Win7 then I would wipe the disk and reinstall everything (assuming everything will run under win7

Hope that gives you something to consider

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users