Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't load to log-in screen, safe mode missing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 catpea33

catpea33

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hi,

I have a problem with my laptop that started a few hours ago. I was using it as usual but then it crashed/froze and I was forced to do a hard restart. I'd been having problems with it a few weeks back but managed to sort those issues out (constant freezes) - I mention this in case it's relevant. I have Avast Antivirus and Spybot installed and run weekly scans with both. Anyway, after doing the hard restart, my computer started acting strangely. Usually it would say that windows wasn't shut down properly and give me the option to reboot in safe mode but it doesn't let me. I eventually get to my desktop picture but no log-in screen ever loads and my computer just gets stuck here. Doing a hard restart (and weirdly, I only have to touch the power button instead of holding it for about 5 seconds like usual) powers down the computer, I restart it and get the same problem again.

I've already tried a few things, namely pulling the battery and the charger cable. I've also downloaded Kaspersky Recovery 10 Disc (at the recommendation of someone else) but it didn't work. When the computer is booting up, I've tried the F8 thing but that didn't work either. I'm a computer noob so I have no idea what to do now. I'm hoping my laptop isn't dead because I seriously have no money right now so any advice you guys and gals can give to resurrect my expensive brick would be very welcome! I don't want to lose any files because, while I do have a backup that's a few months old, my hard drive is in Canada and I'm in the UK for the next 6 months... so if anyone makes a suggestion that would erase files, please warn me in advance!

Thanks for any help you can give,

Cat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 catpea33

catpea33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

OK, I don't know how or why but my laptop is working again. Can't figure out how to delete this thread...

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Glad to hear that you have the issue resolved.

If you experience other issues let us know. When posting please include make and model of computer along with as much info as possible as you did initially.

Good Luck

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users