Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Bypassing Region Block Illegal in Japan?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chibibug

Chibibug

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

There are some Japan-only anime available on http://www.b-ch.com/ that I would love to rent. The only problem is viewing is also limited to Japan only. I searched a bit about proxies, but I want to make sure bypassing the region block wouldn't be illegal in Japan.

Edited by Chibibug, 25 December 2013 - 09:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Maybe they aren't able to accept foreign orders. Not unusual in Japan, IMO. And the correct link is http://www.b-ch.com/

#3 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

Me thinks, Chibibug, that if something is illegal, there is no way to dance around it to make it legal. So no matter how you dance, it will be illegal. I do know that Japan is very strict as to what they allow and do not allow to enter their country and that extends also to what exits their country. Basically, you need to respect the laws of the land, even when they get in the way of one's desires. Sorry.

#4 Chibibug

Chibibug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

Me thinks, Chibibug, that if something is illegal, there is no way to dance around it to make it legal. So no matter how you dance, it will be illegal. I do know that Japan is very strict as to what they allow and do not allow to enter their country and that extends also to what exits their country. Basically, you need to respect the laws of the land, even when they get in the way of one's desires. Sorry.

Hence why I was asking first. I thought I made that clear. I'm not out to break any laws, I just wanted a specific answer. Maybe this wasn't the best place to ask.

Edited by Chibibug, 25 December 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Here are the prohibited actions for that site:

10. Prohibited Behavior
When using this Service, Members must not perform acts that correspond to the following or acts that have a chance of corresponding to the following. Please refer to <a href="https://www.bandainamcoid.com/portal/prohibited" target="_blank">this page</a> for details about prohibited behavior.
(1) Acts which violate the law or acts which are against public order and morals.
(2) Acts which infringe on the rights or profits of the Company or a Third Party.
(3) Acts to post inappropriate expressions or falsified information.
(4) Illicit acts or acts for commercial gain using this Service.
(5) Acts which hinder or slander the provision of this Service.
(6) Acts to analyze, copy, or alter, etc., the contents of this Service.
(7) Acts which harass or are unpleasant to a Third Party.
(8) Acts to use this Service for the purpose of interacting with the opposite sex.
(9) Acts that violate these Terms or the Subject Services Terms.
(10) Acts other than those above that the Company determines inappropriate.
So I would assume using a Proxy would be a violation of number 1 and 2.

Further to expand:

Prohibited Acts

It is prohibited to commit any of the acts below using BANDAI NAMCO ID.

(1) Acts that violate the law or are against public order or morals, such as:
- acts that encourage minors to drink, smoke or gamble, etc., or any other acts that could exert a bad influence on minors;
- use of markedly brutal or violent expressions, sexual expressions, discriminatory expressions, offensive expressions, or expressions that are against public order or morals;
- acts that promote suicide or self-harming behavior;
- instigating, abetting, or preparatory acts for such.
(2) Acts that infringe the Company's or a third party's rights or interests, such as:
- providing false registration information, or improperly acquiring membership status for this Service;
- transferring, lending, or sharing, etc., a BANDAI NAMCO ID, or using a third party's BANDAI NAMCO ID.
(3) Profit-making or fraudulent acts using this Service, such as:
- using this Service for profit-making activity, or for posting information for commercial advertising purposes, without the Company's prior consent;
- posing as the Company or as a third party;
- gathering personal information or data.
(4) Acts that hinder the provision of this Service, or that slander it, such as:
- acts that impose excessive loads on the equipment that provides and manages this Service;
- using or providing computer viruses or other programs that cause software to execute improper processing;
- acts that damage confidence in or the reputation of, or that insult, the Company or a third party.
(5) Acts that analyze, duplicate or alter, etc., the contents of this Service, such as:
- acts that reverse-compile, reverse-assemble, reverse-engineer, or otherwise analyze the data or programs, etc., of this Service, or acts of duplication, editing, alteration or adaptation, etc., thereof.
(6) Acts that harass or are offensive to a third party, such as:
- accessing without authorization the equipment that provides and manages this Service, and/or stealing information therefrom;
- improperly acquiring, or transferring, lending or sharing, etc., the content (whether charged-for or free) that is provided via this Service;
- acts that take advantage of faults in this Service to bring profit to a Member or a third party or to bring disadvantage to the Company or a third party, or acts that circulate such faults;
- obscene, threatening, extortionary, swindling, blackmailing or other criminal behavior toward the Company or a third party;
- acts that encourage the use of habit-forming drugs such as stimulants or narcotics;
- stalking or other acts of harassment toward the Company or a third party;
- antisocial acts, including pay-offs to antisocial forces and the like;
- acts intended to set up pyramid schemes and/or solicit participation therein, etc.;
- requesting the forwarding of chain-type emails or writing of entries therein, or carrying out such forwarding or entry writing in response to such requests;
- acts that make public the personal information or data, etc., of Members or third parties.
(7) Acts that use this Service for the purpose of associating with the opposite sex. 
(8) Acts that violate these Terms of Use or the Subject Services Terms of Use, such as:
- unreasonable inquiries or requests that are beyond the Company's legal obligations, including those toward third parties.
(9) Postings or entries that contain inappropriate expressions or false information of any of the following kinds:
- information that contains markedly brutal or violent expressions;
- information that contains obscene expressions;
- information that contains expressions that encourage the use of stimulants, narcotics or other drugs;
- information that contains expressions that promote suicide or self-harming behavior;
- information that contains expressions that encourage minors to drink, smoke or gamble, etc.;
- information that contains antisocial expressions;
- information that contains expressions that damage the reputation of or confidence in the Company or a third party;
- information that contains expressions that promote discrimination;
- information that contains offensive expressions;
- information that has meeting with the opposite sex as its purpose;
- information that contains computer viruses or other programs that cause OS or software to execute improper processing;
- acts that offer false information.
(10) Any other acts that the Company deems to be inappropriate, such as:
- acts that infringe the Company's or a third party's copyrights, image rights, property rights, privacy rights or other rights or interests;
- acts with political activity as their purpose;
- acts with religious activity as their purpose.

Edited by cryptodan, 25 December 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#6 Chibibug

Chibibug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thanks frankp316 and cryptodan for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users