Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Install Problems, Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MacAir747

MacAir747

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for any help in advance. I originally had Windows XP Pro installed and everything worked fine. One day my computer crashed and I had to reinstall windows. For some reason I could only find a Windows XP home edition CD but it wouldn't activate. After the activation ran out it stopped working. I found my Windows XP Pro CD and started over. I deleted the old C partition, created 2 partitions (one for the operating system and one for everything else) and installed XP pro on the C:. It seemed to work but when I rebooted I got the <windows root>\system32\hal.dll error message. I tried troubleshooting that to no avail. I decided to reformat my entire hard drive by removing the partitions, and using a Windows 98 bootdisk I reformated twice. Then I reinstalled Windows XP Pro (reformatting again as NTFS) with 2 partitions set up. C: is 10GB for the OS and E: is 50GB for programs.

Now Windows XP Pro runs real slow; when I'm on the internet and I try to scroll, the screen moves very slow, and if I try to watch a mpeg it is real choppy. Also, I seem to keep getting the system32\hal.dll error message. I've tried every fix I can find on the internet for the hal.dll error but nothing works. And the slow windows just isn't right. My machine is more than fast enough to handle Windows XP Pro (over 1.5Ghz and 512Mbytes ram.) I tried to install my NVidia drivers and sound blaster 4 drivers. Nothing is working, the puter is still slow.

Any ideas out there? Thanks again

Mac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

Defrag and run scandisk

EDIT: 0854hrs welcome to BC

Edited by need TOS, 06 May 2006 - 07:55 PM.

Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 MacAir747

MacAir747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:17 PM

I just tried to scandisk and it got to step five at 80% done and just froze. I'm really frustrated at this point because it feels like nothing is working. Disc defrag didn't do anything. I'm thinking of starting over and formatting 3 times and reinstalling XP home edition. For some reason it won't activate but maybe I can find a way around that.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:32 PM

Please try this site.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

When you install the Home edition, are you trying to use the license key from Pro? You have to use the license that came with the OS. There shouldn't be any difference in your ability to run either Home or Pro - basically, they're the same. There are more security features and tools in Pro, but other than that, it doesn't use more resources unless you run more services and you can probably do some research and turn some of them off.

I can't imagine why you're having so much trouble, but perhaps you should really wipe the disk using something like Digital Dolly or Boot & Nuke, which will write zeroes to the entire drive and really rid it of things. missing hal.dll is usually found when you've got a twin-boot system or boot.ini becomes corrupt.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

I just tried to scandisk and it got to step five at 80% done and just froze. I'm really frustrated at this point because it feels like nothing is working. Disc defrag didn't do anything. I'm thinking of starting over and formatting 3 times and reinstalling XP home edition. For some reason it won't activate but maybe I can find a way around that.

If the scandisk failed to complete I would be concerned about the hdd, if you can find out the manufacturer of the hdd they should have a diagnostic program that you download to a floppy and run. This would either prove the problem is there, or eliminate it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 MacAir747

MacAir747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:13 PM

I tried reformatting the hard drive 6 times, only partitoned it into 1 big C drive and reinstalled Windows XP. I tried to let Windows XP format the hard drive with NTFS and it only got to 15% and didn't get any further. I had to reboot, choose quick format with NTFS and it installled. I'm still having a slowdown problem with the system. I tried a game that came out 7 years ago and it is extremely choppy. This game could run on a computer have the speed as my current setup. Something is definitely wrong. Could it be the HDD? What about the memory stick? Thanks again!

Mac

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:54 AM

I'm suspecting that you might be having a hardware problem (since it couldn't full format in NTFS - could only do a quick format).

This free utility has a SMART tab for checking the status of your hard drive: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Another possible cure is to update the mobo/chipset drivers and the video drivers (based on the problems that you've described).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 MacAir747

MacAir747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:45 PM

I started over by formatting my hard drive, again, and installed my XP home edition. Now windows runs great but I still have the activation problem. I'm wondering why the XP Pro ran so poorly but home edition runs fine. I'm still debating buying a new hard drive and see if that solves the problem because my not being able to format the hard drive with the windows CD sends up warning flags.

Mac

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:42 AM

You can activate by calling Microsoft - so you won't have to use the web to do it.

What does the SMART tab (in the utility that I suggested previously) tell you about the condition of your hard drive?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 MacAir747

MacAir747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:20 AM

Hi USAMA, thanks for the help. Here's what the speedFan S.M.A.R.T found...

It said to watch my reallocated sector count, reallocated event count, current pending sector, and offline uncorrectable sector count. All three of those it was saying that I should consider getting a new hard drive.

It also gives a value for my reallocated sector count as 157, with 1 being the worst and 63 being the warning point.

This morning I got a new error message when starting my computer: it loaded right up to the OS and gave me: A disk read error occurred press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart I had to go into windowx xp repair, delete the boot.ini and rebuild using bootCFG.

Thanks

Mac

#12 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:41 AM

I think you have a bad hard drive!
Check your hard drive to see what brand it is then go to the mfgs. website and download the diagnostics for your drive.
I use a lot of Western Digital drives and I have actually had their diag program repair bad sectors on the drive and re-certify it for normal use.
You can also check the warranty status of your drive on the mfgs. website, some drives have 3 or even 5 year warranty's on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users