Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speakers No Longer Working...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RYAN091

RYAN091

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:45 AM

Today I installed a wireless internet adapter in one of the PCI-E slots on my motherboard. Upon starting the PC up and installing the driver the device worked, but when I went to watch a video online I realized my speakers no longer worked. Over the last few hours I have tried rolling back the PC itself, rolling back audio drivers, installing up to date drivers, installing drivers that came on the disc with the motherboard, basically everything I could think of. Also removed the wireless LAN device and rolled back a separate time and it didn't make a difference. I am now out of ideas.

My PC specs are...

Windows 7 64 bit
Asus M5A97 R2.0
AMD FX 6300 Processor
Geforce GTX 660 Graphics Card

Everything worked perfectly before installed the PCI-E device, and I have tested another set of speakers in the PC to see if that was the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas or will I be forced to just buy a sound card to install.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

Are there any exclamation markes next to sound devices in Device Manager? Go to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Manage Audio Devices. Under the playback tab make sure your speakers have the green check next to them. Under th Sound tab make sure Windows Default is the Sound Scheme. Another thing to check is to see if the Windows Audio service is started and set to automatic. Right Click Computer>Manage>Services and Applications>Services

Another option is to use the Microsoft Fixit to check for Sound Issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/

#3 scasper1

scasper1

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

Have you went to device mgr. and uninstalled the sound driver, then rebooted to let it find the driver?

#4 RYAN091

RYAN091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Have you went to device mgr. and uninstalled the sound driver, then rebooted to let it find the driver?

Yes I have done this a few times.

Are there any exclamation markes next to sound devices in Device Manager? Go to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Manage Audio Devices. Under the playback tab make sure your speakers have the green check next to them. Under th Sound tab make sure Windows Default is the Sound Scheme. Another thing to check is to see if the Windows Audio service is started and set to automatic. Right Click Computer>Manage>Services and Applications>Services

Another option is to use the Microsoft Fixit to check for Sound Issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/

No exclamation marks, Windows Default is the sound scheme, and audio service is set to automatic. That Fix It program installed some sort of driver for the speakers and said the problem was fixed but still no sound.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

I looked at the motherboard manual and it stated the output device in sound settings of control panel should be set to Realtek. There should be a Realtek HD Audio manager in control panel.  You might want to check the settings there. It might take some tweaking to get sound. Make sure the output is set to the back panel.I am not sure if you have any audio settings in your UEFI BIOS but see if there is anything there.

#6 RYAN091

RYAN091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

I looked at the motherboard manual and it stated the output device in sound settings of control panel should be set to Realtek. There should be a Realtek HD Audio manager in control panel.  You might want to check the settings there. It might take some tweaking to get sound. Make sure the output is set to the back panel.I am not sure if you have any audio settings in your UEFI BIOS but see if there is anything there.

That might have shown me the real issue. The audio manager is showing that the speakers are plugged into the front panel and are labeled as "Headphones" when in fact they are plugged into the correct green port in the back panel. Is it possible that the back panel was disabled somehow? Maybe something in BIOS was changed when I installed the wireless card into the pci slot?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

It's possible but I don't know why. I found the link for setting the HD manager. It might help. http://www.spyontech.com/how-to/here%E2%80%99s-a-quick-way-to-solve-realtek-hd-audio-plugged-and-unplugged-problem.htm

#8 RYAN091

RYAN091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

It's possible but I don't know why. I found the link for setting the HD manager. It might help. http://www.spyontech.com/how-to/here%E2%80%99s-a-quick-way-to-solve-realtek-hd-audio-plugged-and-unplugged-problem.htm

My audio manager does not have a ''disable front panel jack detection" option as shown in that link, so the problem still exists.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Do you get sound with headphones plugged into the front jack?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

Found something on the internet. Maybe it will help. OP was able to get sounds working by selecting 'Make front and rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously.' in Advanced settings of Realtek Audio Manager.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/asus-realtek-sound-problems.130140/

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 December 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#11 RYAN091

RYAN091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

Found something on the internet. Maybe it will help. OP was able to get sounds working by selecting 'Make front and rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously.' in Advanced settings of Realtek Audio Manager.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/asus-realtek-sound-problems.130140/

I've tried just about every combination of settings and drivers I can at this point. My last effort will be to get in contact with ASUS support and see if they have any clue what to do. But most likely I'm just going to purchase a sound card and be done with this integrated nonsense. Thanks everybody for the ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users