Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access The Web

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:07 PM

hello,
I put UnButu Linux on a friend's IBM Thinkpad 600E laptop. However there is one problem:

No one can access the web.

Is there a driver I can download for this and if so, where is it located? If there is not a driver download, how do I do this?

Help,
Jesse

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 12 May 2006 - 12:43 AM.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

what kind of modem is it? is it dialup or ethenet? linux os do not like winmodems.

#3 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

Also, what exactly does it say when you try and access? Do you get error messages, package missing messages or wrong configuration messages. Without any of this info, it would be hard to advise which way to go.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:28 PM

what kind of modem is it? is it dialup or ethenet? linux os do not like winmodems.

Well it didn't have ANY internet access to start with. I put Linux on there hoping I could get it online. What I am wondering is if there is a driver I need to install on the IBM to get my client online...

(Sorry for the delayed reply)
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

How did youwant to access the net? DSL Cable or dialup. All the software you need should be incorporated into the OS. Except maybe the dialup modem software.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:36 PM

Preferably cable...... and no software was installed on the laptop in question

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:35 PM

Have you been able to install you NIC in Ubuntu Linux? When setting up the NIC it should allow you to setup your connection.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users