Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sites That Sell Windows Keys/Licenses

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bilgone

Bilgone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

Hi,

Forgive me if this is not an appropriate place to ask such question, but I'm looking to purchase Windows 8 for my new system (in the process of building it), and a friend of mind pointed to several sites that sell activation keys cheaply, i.e. Keatingarts, mskeyoffer, getsoftwarekey, etc..

I am very skeptical of these websites to have any legitimacy, which, if I may say, look duplicate. I don't think they offer the actual download of Windows media but rather only the activation license and what not (hence the cheaper prices (!)).

So, I have to ask, are they scams? Some of them have been around for some time though, and I don't know if they were ripping people off, MS would have left them operating for this long. Could it be that they generate keys illegally, and down the road when MS realizes it, they would nullify the activations for the alleged victims? Or are they really legit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

In the process of doing a search for these three sites I found a surprisingly large number of similar websites offer prices very similar in price.  These are for the product key only, no media.  Some of them will provide you with a means of downloading the operating system.

I've learned from experience that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.  I will see what I can find out about this, there has to be a catch.

By the way, when I tried to go to the mskeyoffer website my antivirus stopped me very quickly. I definitely would stay away from that one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

You can purchase a license direct from Microsoft ( they provide a link to install the software). You can also purchase a Windows 8 Key card only from an online retailer. As dc3 mentioned I would be careful where you purchase your license. If your buidling your own system I recomment a OEM System Builder Pack from a online Retailer. This gives you install Media and a COA Key to Stick to your computer for safe keeping. Also The OEM system builder Licese agreement Also gives you Downgrade rights to Windows 7

Edited: Update to include Key card license only options.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 December 2013 - 02:37 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

HI

I would trust Chad's (Sneakycyber) advice.

I've always bought my Microsoft software & licenses through work until I stopped working and now from NewEgg and Amazon.

There is one low cost method to get a Microsoft License cheap and legally. If You are in a School where they sell educational versions to their students. Does this description fit You?

What I believe those sites posted above are selling are Corporate (Enterprise) licenses or Cracked versions. Enterprise editions are illegal for home use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions

Windows 8 Enterprise Windows 8 Enterprise provides all the features in Windows 8 Pro (except the ability to install the Windows Media Center add-on), with additional features to assist with IT organization (see table below).[4] This edition is available to Software Assurance customers, as well as MSDN and Technet Professional subscribers, and was released on August 16, 2012.[7]

Lets be honest, I would not trust a company in China, All three, selling that cheap to be selling legitimate versions.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

It looks like we're talking about venders from questionable locations, let leave this at that.

There are all sorts of possible ways this could wind up costing you, literally.

You need to ask yourself one question.  If there are legal copies of product keys which can be purchased for this astonishing price, how come they aren't listed on eBay, Nextag, Amazon, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Bilgone

Bilgone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

Let me just briefly say that I had my hunch that these sites, and a few others I stumbled upon with the same pricing range, are no good. I just wanted to see if folks who are more experience in this regard have come across other novices who have fallen for these vendors.

The interesting part is that a lot of people commenting on the purchases they have made on these sites expressed satisfaction, but in a way that just didn't sound straight out of a normal buyer's mouth.

Nonetheless, I just didn't want to risk it and obtained my Windows 8.1 (Pro seemed to be an overkill my use) from a legitimate site, albeit a bit cheaper than the official one sold on the MS site.

It looks like we're talking about venders from questionable locations, let leave this at that.

There are all sorts of possible ways this could wind up costing you, literally.

You need to ask yourself one question.  If there are legal copies of product keys which can be purchased for this astonishing price, how come they aren't listed on eBay, Nextag, Amazon, etc.

Indeed. Several of the locations are tied to Hong Kong (read: China).

In the process of doing a search for these three sites I found a surprisingly large number of similar websites offer prices very similar in price.  These are for the product key only, no media.  Some of them will provide you with a means of downloading the operating system.

I've learned from experience that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.  I will see what I can find out about this, there has to be a catch.

By the way, when I tried to go to the mskeyoffer website my antivirus stopped me very quickly. I definitely would stay away from that one.

Not quite the same pricing arrangment on all the sites although very close; perhaps to throw people off to suggest they don't operate by the same shoddy source.

You can purchase a license direct from Microsoft ( they provide a link to install the software). You can also purchase a Windows 8 Key card only from an online retailer. As dc3 mentioned I would be careful where you purchase your license. If your buidling your own system I recomment a OEM System Builder Pack from a online Retailer. This gives you install Media and a COA Key to Stick to your computer for safe keeping. Also The OEM system builder Licese agreement Also gives you Downgrade rights to Windows 7

Edited: Update to include Key card license only options.

Thanks for the links and descriptions.

HI

I would trust Chad's (Sneakycyber) advice.

I've always bought my Microsoft software & licenses through work until I stopped working and now from NewEgg and Amazon.

There is one low cost method to get a Microsoft License cheap and legally. If You are in a School where they sell educational versions to their students. Does this description fit You?

What I believe those sites posted above are selling are Corporate (Enterprise) licenses or Cracked versions. Enterprise editions are illegal for home use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions

Windows 8 Enterprise Windows 8 Enterprise provides all the features in Windows 8 Pro (except the ability to install the Windows Media Center add-on), with additional features to assist with IT organization (see table below).[4] This edition is available to Software Assurance customers, as well as MSDN and Technet Professional subscribers, and was released on August 16, 2012.[7]

Lets be honest, I would not trust a company in China, All three, selling that cheap to be selling legitimate versions.

Cheers
Roger

Not a student, but my company does provide extreme MS discounted products. For instance, the Office Pro 2013 is offered  around $5 (unfortunately, Windows 8 isn't one of the items). I'll surely be going to take advantage of this corp perk.

What I am mostly worried is 1) the key is stolen or cracked/generated which means down the line, it would be a lost to the customer 2) the download link points to a tampered OS that can help, basically, give your life away. I just don't want to gamble on this one.

#7 Bilgone

Bilgone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

I decided to call and cancel my order from Discount Mountain Software site (I honestly thought they are legitimate). The more I read about the "false positive" reviews onlines (and they are just overwhelmingly a plathora of them), and the fact they were sued by MS (2011), the more I got suspicious. I have to get the retail version from an authorized place.

A lot of reviews you read about this company awfully appear as if they have been written by a single person, i.e. style of prose, grammar, reviewers register and review on the same day, and only one review, etc.. I highly recommend not to take your chances with this vendor.

And I don't know how soon they would refund my purchase (hadn't been processed yet, let alone shipped, so the guy on the phone did it in less than a minute). Also, I find out that the "operators" of the site do get on any forum or site to defend their company, followed by number of "satisfying" customers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users