Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System tools backend.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

I am a Linux newbie.  I have had some problems with unexplained devices and several other things that return after a format and re-install. I am referring to machines that had originally been running Win 7 64bit SP1.  I recently ran Mint 15 using Mate after a complete format. After some time I realized I was getting updates for Gnome and KDE. I then found "System tools backend"  I am pretty sure this is what the culprit used to compromise my machines. I now need to know why it lives through a format and re-install.  Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

They're part of Gnome.

System Tools to manage computer configuration -- scripts

The System Tools Backends are a set of cross-platform scripts
for Linux and other Unix systems. The backends provide a standard
XML interface for modifying the configuration regardless of the
distribution that's being used.

These backends are used in GNOME System Tools.

They didn't "live through" anything. They were installed as part of Gnome.

#3 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

I am probably not explaining my issue right.   Is anyone familiar with something called "GNU Bourne-Again Shell"?

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

BASH? Yes. That's also installed automatically. On everything. No matter whether Gnome, KDE, LDXE, server, desktop, GUI, no GUI. Even embedded has a form of it, or something very much like it.

#5 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

On Windows too?

#6 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

check out this link

http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/bashtop.html

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:42 AM

On Windows too?

No you wouldn't normally have bash on Windows. Windows has it's own shell which is what is commonly referred to as 'command prompt'. However it is possible to install Unix like tools like bash through third party utilities, I believe.

Btw elements of gnome/GTK will be installed even if you use the mate or cinnamon desktops. Mate is actually a fork of gnome 2. If you install an app that is kde native your package manager will automatically download any dependencies at the same time, which are likely to include kde libraries required to make the app work.

Edited by jonuk76, 26 December 2013 - 02:53 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:33 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash_%28Unix_shell%29

Bash is a Unix shell written by Brian Fox for the GNU Project as a free software replacement for the Bourne shell (sh).[3][4] Released in 1989,[5] it has been distributed widely as the shell for the GNU operating system and as a default shell on Linux and Mac OS X. It has been ported to Microsoft Windows and distributed with Cygwin and MinGW, to DOS by the DJGPP project, to Novell NetWare and to Android via various terminal emulation applications.

Yes, it can also be on Windows. If someone puts it there.

I still don't understand what the problem is. But if BASH was installed on Windows, the drive was then formatted and linux put on it, BASH won't "survive" from one to the other. It will be replaced.

Not sure what that has to do with System Tools Backends, though. It would be installed with linux/Gnome. The only way I coud see that "on Windows" would be if linux was previously installed using WUBI or something. But that's still a different animal from BASH.

It might help if you spelled out exactly what the problem is supposed to be. What makes you believe your system was compromised that would lead you to believe either of these items is related?

#9 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

@stiltskin and bwrighttwo

From what I have been reading on the forums, esp Linux.org, bwrighttwo, tried (I think) to do a duel boot which is normally advised against a newbie doing. Why? if you do not do it correctly, (from my understanding, and I am a newbie newbie) you have a tendency of having neither Win or Linux on your system, Linux will overwrite on Windows, hence why (I think) he is seeing the corruption on his Windows. Reason why the forums all suggest, for newbies, to run Linux, whatever flavour you choose, "Live" to not only get the feel for Linux but to see if Linux is compatible with your system. Also, by running Linux Live, one does not change the computer's system, there is no footprint left behind. (Main reason newbies get sour on Linux, they feel Linux messed up their system, not them.)

Once bwrighttwo you post back exactly what you did and get your system squared away, remember Go Live First!

#10 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

I myself have never tried to run duel boot. I did try live first.

I do not think I have time to get into the whole story abouty what is going on. It has been a 2 year problem in which no one seems to believe me when I try to explain the problems. I suppose you could click on my user name and look at my past content to get some info. The machines that I am using do not have any info on them I need so they are sort of like lab rats.

Two years ago someone compromised both my work and home networks. They had access to one of my machines for at least a week or two 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. I am pretty sure they set up some kind of virtual network to have even more access. I now seem to have leftovers even after re-format and re-installs. It has become a mission of mine to figure out the hows, whos, and whys. Two years ago, before all of this, I barely knew how to rename a file. That is why the culprit was able to get by with it I suppose. I now know more than I ever wanted to. I am no professional by any means. I am probably a 2 out of 10 in technology. I guess I know enough to be dangerous. Saying all of that,....I really do not care if the 2 machines I am doing all of this with get messed up .  I am really just trying to figure out exactly what they did and how they did it. Thank you all so much for your time.   Buck

Almost forgot,    I also think whomever did allof this probably used Linux and may have ussed duel boot.

Edited by bwrighttwo, 26 December 2013 - 06:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users