Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 updates...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 2ezie

2ezie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hello all, 

I have a HP laptop running Windows 7.  2 weeks after purchasing my laptop, after doing the automatic updates, my laptop was wiped of all information and would not function. The place I purchased it from said it was not their problem. After speaking with Microsoft, they sent me a new Windows 7 disc (for a fee) and guided my through what I needed to do.   Through all this I spoke with 3 people...IT expert, IT department of where I purchased and Microsoft.  1 of them told me I should never do the automatic updates and told me to turn them off.    What is your opinion?  I have turned them off but feel I should not have. Now there are several updates to do, but scared to let them run.   Any help much appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

I don't understand MS telling you to turn off Automatic Updating. That is the setting that I have used for years without any ramifications.

However, you have some other options if you so choose by utilizing the dropdown menu.

As we all know, some updates have caused problems for users in the past and those particular updates can be uninstalled and then reinstalled once a patch has been provided.

I understand your anxiety but updates are necessary for the integrity of your system.

Hope this helps and good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users