Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Water spilled on laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xoangel98

xoangel98

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hi,

I spilled water on my Sony Vaio VPCEJ28FX keyboard.

After five seconds, the laptop turned off. First I dried everything and placed it upside down on paper towels. Then I removed the battery. There are no signs of water damage on the battery. Is there any hope that my laptop can be saved?

What should I do now?

Thank you very much,

Julie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

Wait at least 48 hours before you turn it back on. Here is a article on what you can do.

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-Your-Laptop-After-Water-Damage-with-Rice

#3 xoangel98

xoangel98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thank you so much!

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

Un screw/take off any pieces you can off the bottom of the laptop. How much water

take out the memory and harddrive and any parts you can  and allow to dry

#5 xoangel98

xoangel98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Alright thanks! I just put my battery in rice, and I put my laptop upside down to dry.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

You can also put the computer in rice and store it in a ziplock bag to absorb moisture if you have enough of it.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

I have seen computers work fine after being spilled on and I have seen them completely fail. It depends on a couple of factors, how much was spilled, how quick to react you are (pulling the battery and unplugging right away is ideal). Since it shut off due to the spill most likely current crossed paths it was not supposed to.

As others have said definitely let it dry out for a few days before turning it back on. When you do decide to turn it back on do it with just the power supply connected (leave the battery out) just in case you need to unplug it fast. Best of luck!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

I would also remove the hard drive before attempting to power it up. The hard drive, having its own enclosure, should be ok, but if the system shorts and the drive is connected you could lose your data. First confirm that the system will power on and run the BIOS without issue before attempting to boot with the hard drive.

Better safe than sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users