Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire AM3470G-UW10P Vista Loading Problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 x74x

x74x

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

First off, I am sure this is a hardware issue and NOT a Vista problem.  I should have posted this somewhere else but here goes.

I have a Vista machine that had viruses on it and some problems because of that.  I decided to reinstall windows vista from the factory restore option.  That did not work until I used the recovery discs.  Everything seemed to go smoothly and it installed. BUT! when it goes to load vista, it just cycles at the loading windows screen, then goes right back to starting again as if you just turned on your computer.  It would just cycle forever if I let it.

The first thing I thought was... bad hard drive.  Not correct.  I used a known working XP HD and the SAME thing happens.

I then thought, maybe a possible power supply issue. Swapped with a known good power supply... no luck.

Any ideas anyone?

Edited by x74x, 24 December 2013 - 04:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

Try booting into the Advanced Startup Options.

To do this start tapping the F8 key immediately after pressing the power button.  When the Advanced Startup Options appear use the up or down key to navigate to Disable auto restart on error and press Enter to select it.

Once this is down you should receive a BSOD which will include a STOP: error.  This will look similar to the image below.

BOSD1.jpg

The error message will be start with ***STOP: and then the error itself.  Please copy the first alphanumerical error and post it back here.

Boot into the Advanced Startup Options and choose Safe Mode with Networking. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 x74x

x74x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

Here it is.

DSCN1914_zpscc63bd91.jpg

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

If you were able to boot into the Advanced Boot Options restart and go back there and choose Safe Mode with Networking.

Let me know how this works.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 x74x

x74x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

It just cycles again.  It has two fast beeps at startup.  I am not sure if this is normal or not for this model.  Their website is very unhelpful and I get this screen everytime before it start to load windows.

DSCN1915_zps1a7a3110.jpg

Edited by x74x, 26 December 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Try doing a repair installation.

Repair Install For Vista

#7 x74x

x74x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

Already tried that, as I had mentioned in my first post.  I am certain it's some kind of hardware or bios problem but I am stuck.  It just keeps cycling at the loading windows screen.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

I decided to reinstall windows vista from the factory restore option.  That did not work until I used the recovery discs. 

This is not the same as a repair installation.  This is also known as a in install upgrade.

Did you check out the Windows Vista Forums page?

#9 x74x

x74x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

I have tried all of these options.  I also do not think that the OS or HD are the problem.  I have even used a working Windows XP HD on the machine and it starts to load and freezes at the exact same place.  The windows vista forums aren't going to show me any problems with this Acer.  I couldn't find anything relevant to my problem there... that is why I am here.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Well... if you read what is included at the bottom of the BIOS list in post #5 you will find that there are two possible problems suggested.

CMOS checksum error or CMOS battery lose occurs.

CMOS checksum error

#11 x74x

x74x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Thank you.  I am not entirely sure how to update the BIOS to be honest =/

#12 x74x

x74x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

CMOS battery wasn't in properly.  Now it's one beep and that screen is gone.  It still cycles at the startup of windows.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thank you.  I am not entirely sure how to update the BIOS to be honest =/

I wasn't suggesting that you flash the BIOS (update the BIOS), only to reset it to the default values.

You can reset the CMOS to the default settings by removing the battery for a couple of minutes.  Try this and let us know what happens.

#14 x74x

x74x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

You nailed it.  BIOS error of some kind.  I removed the battery and ran out the power.  I gave it a few minutes and put in the cmos battery and reset the bios settings with the correct time.  Windows loaded right up.  I am absolutely grateful for the help.  Thank you!

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

Happy computing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users