Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I dropped my laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SammyNape

SammyNape

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite C850  running Windows 7 Home Premium 

I dropped my laptop when it was on, the base hit the floor and the screen slammed shut.

Now when I turn it on the screen is really messed up. I took out the battery and rebooted but the screen is the same. It won't even boot up.

Can someone help me out?

Link to the pic: http://i.imgur.com/Q8Rma6U.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

You cracked the screen.  It has to be replaced.

You can also connect an external screen to use the machine, provided you didn't also damage the hard drive.

Edited by RKilroy, 24 December 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Rkilroy is right, most likely the screen is cracked, before spending the money on replacing the screen I would run a diagnostic on the hard drive. If you do not have the tools maybe take it to a computer repair shop. The hard drive test I use is MHDD which is fairly tricky to use but there are walkthroughs out there. If you decide to test it yourself you will have to use an external monitor to run the test. Good Luck!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

One other thing to check if the screen is not actually cracked, a fall may have dislodged a stick of ram from the brackets. If you can get access to the ram make sure it is correctly installed. Ram can cause funny screen issues. The easy way to see if a screen is cracked is to turn the computer off, and look at the screen under a light. If you can see darker lines running through the screen randomly these are likely cracks in the glass. Cracked screens often look very strange. Here are some images of cracked screens for example: https://www.google.com/search?q=cracked+laptop+screen&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=5E7QUuy5B9LOyAG6iICACA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=734

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

I've replaced many screens in my job....that's definitely a cracked screen. The black 'inkblot' at the top is the crystal leaking.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

I did not see the picture at first, saw it now, Netghost56 is 100% right that is a cracked screen. Now you will probably want to determine if the hard drive is ok as well. The good news is: the 15.6 led lcds are very cheap and that model happens to be relatively easy when it comes to screen replacements. Usually led lcds can be found for around $60 shipped from ebay. Make sure if you decide to replace the panel yourself you use the correct numbering on the back of the panel to buy the replacement. For example wxg156 rev 1.2 make sure if it does have a revision the version is correct when ordering. ALSO ALWAYS remove the battery and the power supply when replacing parts! I have seen many customers come in with fried motherboards because they replaced the lcd panel with the battery in. If you do not feel up to the task take it to a repair shop.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

My opinion, if possible follow the advice given by RKilroy and connect the laptop to an external monitor before you do anything else. If the laptop boots this will give you a chance to see what else, if anything, has been damaged.

If it doesn't boot or if it does but other issues are present you will have to decide the best course of action to take.

It's possible that so much has been damaged that it could be more cost effective to get a new laptop.

How far did it fall? What did it hit (wood, concrete, carpet)? How hard was the hit? Those are things to consider when assessing the damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users