Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium Reflect versions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

I am currently using Macrium Reflect free version.  I have a couple of questions if someone can answer them.  First, the free version isn't a 30 day trial, is it?  Second, can the standard version make an image on a partioned file to a specific drive letter?  The free version will not, it wants to erase both partitions.  I intend to go ahead and upgrade to the standard version since I would like to be able to perform incremental back ups.  Thanks for any insight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hi Bill

Have You looked at their page

I have a couple of questions, Where you said "make an image on a partitioned file to a specific drive letter?  The free version will not, it wants to erase both partitions."

Are You referring to Disk drive partitions?

The second Question is are You sure You do not mean a clone rather than a Image?

A clone should wipe the destination drive or it could not be an exact clone. A Image should be storeable on any drive letter except the one(s) being imaged. I have several image file backups of my Window 8 computer on one external drive.

The page I linked shows that the Standard, Pro and Server editions all do,

"Differential and Incremental backups as well as File and Folder backup"

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 December 2013 - 10:29 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Roger yes I have.  I know that the standard will do the incremental backups and file and folder but I didn't see anything about doing a backup to a specific partition on a partitioned hard drive.  I have an extra 1 TB internal and what to do the image on a 290 GB partition.  I tells me it will erase both though.  I'm hoping to find out if the paid version will let the bu go to a targeted partition. I'll take a look again.  Thanks.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

Basically in most software of this type a Image file should not erase anything, whereas a Clone should erase the entire drive.

This tutorial on backing up http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50074.aspx to an image file

This one is for cloning http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50081.aspx

Note the difference I'm quoting.

4.  You can now drag and drop the partitions you wish to be cloned as shown by the red arrow below. Please note that if you already have established partitions on the target disk, you need to select each one and click the Delete Existing partition link before you can drag and resize partitions from the source.

As I see it if it wants to erase the partitions You must be cloning and not imaging. Am i interpreting wrong?

This is there knowledgebase page where I found those tutorials, Includes tutorials on how to backup files and folders and How to create Incremental and differential disk images.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

Yes I am choosing imaging.  It may be that the free version will not do this as there are other things it won't do, that is what I'm seeking clarification on.  I'm looking at some of the tuts in other tabs as I post here and I'm just not finding that information.  I'll keep looking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users