Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

booting from flash drive/at DOS prompt it says bad file name when...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pokerprick

pokerprick

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

Have Toshiba Satellite laptop hard drive won't boot anymore. Says no bootable device... so i want to run spinrite and see if i cant repair hard drive. I made a bootable USB flash drive by running hpflash1.zip and win98boot.zip. It seemed to format fine. Then I installed spinrite.exe onto flash drive. Well at DOS prompt  type-run SpinRite.exe- just like its written in flash drive I wrote it just like file name listed in drive. But it comes back with "bad command or file name. I cannot tell what i am doing wrong. could really use some help on this one. Thanks in advance ppl.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

First off, you're making this more work than it should be.

1.  Run the SpinRite.exe file that you downloaded from GRC from Windows

2.  Select the Install SpinRite on Drive option, fourth button from the left.

3.  Press and hold the drive letter of the USB drive you want to install SpinRite on (You can check this out by opening up My Computer and finding the drive) and click the Install Bootable SpinRite button (While holding down the key of the drive letter you want to use .

4.  The next screen will show you the progress

5.  You will then get the message that the install was successful, press the Close button

6.  Restart the machine and boot to the USB drive.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

I see Kilroy beat me to an answer.

Nice instructions.

Before I did anything with Spinrite I would see if the drive is even being detected in the BIOS setup. If it isn't being detected, then Spinrite can not help as I understand it.

Then if it is detected and there is anything on it You want to salvage, I would try and backup the data.

If You have a Windows 7 disk and the drive is being detected You could try running chkdsk on the drive.

However I would first run the drive makers diagnostics on the drive.

To me if a drive starts having bad sectors or fails diagnostics, I just replace it. They never get better, they do tend to get worse over time.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 pokerprick

pokerprick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:28 AM

Thank you to both RKilroy and rotor123. Hard drive i am trying to fix is in a compurter that wont boot up. Thanks for insight about your experiences with hard drives as this is my first go around. So when ya'll run into something like this I may just have to lose what on disk and start over. Now how does it work if I have to get new hard drive, no disk of any kind with the computer. How do I get OS and not have to buy another one. Product key on back of computer but kid owns it and I have no disks or paperwork of any kind.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

You may be able to recover the data. However have You verified that the drive is bad?

The Bios setup should give the brand as long as the drive is detected.

Try pressing F2 to access the BIOS setup and F12 should give You a boot device list to select from.

What brand drive does it show.

As for windows ask if the owner if they made the recovery DVD set of disks.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Hi, Rotor 123 has asked me if I would take a look at this topic.

What is the model of this Satellite?

What do you mean when you post the the computer won't boot anymore?  

What exactly happens when you try?

If the hard drive disk isn't dead there are a couple of options we can use to see if we can get it running again.  

But before we do this, please do as rotor123 has suggested regarding looking in the BIOS so see if the hdd is recognized.  If it is then we can go one from there.  

So please do this and let us know what you find.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users