Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions re: Upgrading an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 and Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Columbia University

Columbia University

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hello.

I know relatively little about personal computers.

I'm still using Windows XP and I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 cpu with an Asus P5N-D motherboard. I want to upgrade our PC.

When the original i-7 920s came out I bought one planning to upgrade then, but it obviously never happened. A friend of mine has suggested adding to the i-7 920 an MSI X58 motherboard and DDR3 ram.

But he's also suggested a different configuration: purchase a Samsung Solid State Hard Drive, the 840 EVO, and keep the processor and the motherboard the same.

Can anyone say which would be the better choice?
  Can anyone say if neither choice would be a good choice?

(I don't have the money now to purchase a new pc and I won't until after I finish my doctorate).

Any and all responses will be appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hopefully this information will help.

I went from a Q6600 to a i7-930 and the increase in speed was OK.

The Benchmarks suggest that You would see a nice boost in processing.

I also use SSD drives for my boot drives and programs.

Which choice is better for You depends on what You want to do.

the CPU upgrade will help with speed for things that use the CPU such as video encoding. A faster CPU will reduce the time required for software that uses the CPU to finish the task.

The SSD upgrade will speed up Windows booting and allow programs to load much faster. A SSD will not help with things that depend on the CPU. A SSD will make the computer more responsive for anything that uses disk access. A large database or software that is always loading things off of the hard drive.

So far the 840 EVO is OK for me. Please note that Samsung recommends 10% of the drive be given to over-provisioning to enhance performance and drive life. In my case that means I lost 93Gb out of the 1Tb version. These days I would probably use a 512Gb SSD as my minimum size.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users