Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran Adwcleaner, now can't access internet

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Aptek

Aptek

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:14 AM

I ran Adwcleaner just now in order to remove adpeak and scorpion saver but after ,y laptop restarted I was unable to access the internet. My laptop tells me I am connected to my wifi but when I open chrome it tells me the webpage is unavailable. Even steam tells me it can't connect. What is going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:20 AM

Please download MiniToolBox and run it.
Checkmark following boxes:
* Report IE Proxy Settings

* Reset IE Proxy Settings
* Report FF Proxy Settings

* Reset FF Proxy Settings
* List content of Hosts

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Aptek

Aptek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

Thank you for answering, but I can't download that program as I don't have access to the internet on my laptop. I am currently on my iPad.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If needed : type these one line at a time, press enter after each line. See if it works after each.

netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
ipconfig /flushdns

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Aptek

Aptek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:36 AM

The second option worked! Thank you very much!

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:40 AM

My pleasure !.

However....to remove the 'real' problem there (AdwareCleaner was not responsible for altering your proxy settings) it would be advisable to run :::

Junkware Removal Tool ...Download it to your desktop.

Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
The tool will open and start scanning your system.
Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:52 AM

Then ,

Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop.
There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool,  If you get a message that RKill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by the infection when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close RKill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run RKill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that RKill can terminate the Infection that we are attempting to get rid of. So, please try running RKill until the malware is no longer running. You will then be able to proceed with the rest of the guide. Do not reboot your computer after running RKill as the malware programs will start again.

rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/
iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/

* Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
* A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
* If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
* Do not reboot until instructed.
* If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • REBOOT MBAM
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Dkg

Dkg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

I am having the same problem. I tried the dos commands, but I still can't get access. Any ideas?

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

G'day Dkg,

Please open a new Topic  HERE

Just click on "START A NEW TOPIC".....and tell us what OS you are using, what led up to this, what steps you have already taken.....

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 elgoldo

elgoldo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

I am also having connectivity issues after running adwcleaner.  

Running Windows 7

Tried Dos commands, did not work...get same message each time: "requested operation requires elevation <run as administrator>

What's my next move?

thanks, any help appreciated

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

G'day elgoldo,

Just click on "START A NEW TOPIC".....and tell us what OS you are using, what led up to this, what steps you have already taken.....

(Simply right-click the "Command Prompt" and choose to "Run as Administrator". That will initiate the UAC prompt for elevated privileges. If you are a member of the local administrator-group you should simply have to select continue, otherwise you need to enter the administrative password.)

Edited by Condobloke, 29 December 2013 - 04:53 PM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 JRfromNY

JRfromNY

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:26 PM

Then ,

Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop.
There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool,  If you get a message that RKill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by the infection when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close RKill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run RKill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that RKill can terminate the Infection that we are attempting to get rid of. So, please try running RKill until the malware is no longer running. You will then be able to proceed with the rest of the guide. Do not reboot your computer after running RKill as the malware programs will start again.

rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/
iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/

* Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
* A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
* If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
* Do not reboot until instructed.
* If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • REBOOT MBAM
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

Hey con, i know this topic has been like 2 years ago but i was wondering if you could help me. I used adwcleaner to take out a virus, So i followed your instructions and did what you said. Now i think i still have the virus since i still have ads, so mind telling me what to do next. Ill send in my .txt files

JRT.txt file:///Users/jrfromny/Desktop/JRT.txt

Rkill file:///Users/jrfromny/Desktop/Rkill.1.txt

Mbam file:///Users/jrfromny/Desktop/Mbam.txt

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:03 PM

G'day JRfromNY

Just click on "START A NEW TOPIC".....and tell us what OS you are using, what led up to this, what steps you have already taken...

When you post logs, copy and paste them please

Edited by Condobloke, 08 February 2015 - 11:04 PM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 pc problems galore

pc problems galore

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

Condobloke,

I can't thank you enough for the advice because it fixed my laptop!!!!  I just want to know what you meant by - it didn't fix the real problem.  What is the real problem?

I am running malwarebytes and AVG.  I was reading your post but want to know if these will do the trick in case I have more garbage on my laptop.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:50 PM

G'day pc problems galore, and Welcome to BC.

The initial reason/s you were unable to access the internet could be many and varied.

It would be best if you were to open a fresh topic HERE    the 'start new topic' is near the top of the page in the right hand side....

type out which OS you re using, what the pc has been doing or not doing, any differences you have noticed, what lead up to losing the internet etc etc, and steps you have already taken

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users