Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying Virus... Please Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Monke

Monke

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

Hi there everyone, I am new to these forums.
I haven't had the internet in over a month now and just finally got it set-up yesterday. Since I haven't had the internet, my anti-virus was out of date (AVG free). So I finally got it set up and now it appears I have a few viruses that my anti virus doesn't detect, nor does spybot Search and destroy.
I've googled this and seen other people with the same problem I have, but they are a lot more advanced with computers, and I couldn't really understand them.
The virus affects my popup blocking I guess and makes it so I get constant system alerts that tell me to buy stupid software to stop this. It also makes internet popups appear, when Im offline.

The system alert tells me Im infected with spyware managing pop-up advertisments (OHPE ver 4.12_23) almost constantly.
It was also mentioning another one yesterday, called iworm_attck_v122.02a but not today.

These popups are driving me crazy and I'm not sure what to do? Any help?
I'm not great with computers but I'll try to follow your advice.
I also dont have a credit card so I cant buy any anti-viruses over the web or anything...
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monke

Monke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:01 PM

I should also mention it has changed my IE homepage and understand task manager processes, I see something called atmclk.exe that I can't stop and have never seen before. I did a search for it and found it under my system32 folder...

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:40 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

It sounds like you might have a smit fraud infection, but you need to be more specific regarding the messages you are receiving. This will aid us in identifying what has attacked you.

What color is the message? In a box? What does it say Word for Word? Where on the screen does it appear? Etc.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 06 May 2006 - 03:41 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Monke

Monke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:39 PM

Well, since posting this, the box hasn't really showed up much, but the internet popups keep coming.
The box was slightly yellow coming from a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it down by the clock in the bottom right corner.
Im not exactly sure what it says, but if you must know I can wait for a while hoping it pops up again.
I think it said something along the lines of:
Your computer is infected with spyware managing pop-up advertisments (OHPE ver 4.12_23). Then it mentions about clicking here to get software to stop this from happening. It then takes you to a random website advertising an anti-virus (almost always a different anti-virus).

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:21 PM

Advertising popups sounds more like WinFixer. Since I'm new to the HJT forum, I'll give you some of my advice rather than the HJT stuff which I can't seem to find.
Download Atribune's VundoFix tool at: http://www.atribune.org/content/view/24/2/ and print out the instructions (recommended so you don't screw up on a step).
After the download is complete, boot into safe mode. If you're having trouble with that, download Bootsafe.exe from here: http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html and reboot into safe mode minimal.
Follow Atribune's instructions on how to use the tool. If no traces of Winfixer are found then it's a different malware infection and you should post back here ASAP. (Post back even if it is Winfixer because VundoFix might no completely clean your machine.)
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:04 AM

Actually Albert Frankenstein is on target with this. A "yellow triangle with an exclamation point" and message pop ups saying something like "System Alert: spyware detected" is one of the signs for a smitfraud infection.

Go here and follow the instructions for using SmitfraudFix.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:29 PM

Ah! Thanks for the correction! Sorry for my error everyone (espcially Albert Frank.)!
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users