Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would like to upgrade my laptop, need some help/advice.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Skootchtheclock

Skootchtheclock

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

I would like to upgrade my CPU, RAM and graphics card.

Currently I'm running:

Acer 6930G

64bit WIndows 7

intel core duo T6400 2.0 GHz

4.0 GB RAM

nvidia geforce 9600m 512 mb

How do I know what parts will work with my machine? I would like a quad core cpu, 16GB ram and a much better graphics card. And if i change these parts what else will also need to get swapped out so everything works? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Unfortunately upgrade options for laptops are usually rather limited. Yours is already at maximum spec for RAM, and Core 2 Duo for CPU and 9600GT on the VGA module are the maximum standard specs. Whether the system BIOS can recognize and utilize any higher spec components can be hard to discover. Some laptops are designed to only recognize the available factory range of components. So considering the 4GB RAM limit and the modest performance advantage (along with increased heat and power consumption) of Core2 over the current Core T series, overall it might be better, less costly and much less trouble to sell the existing laptop and upgrade to something like an i5.

For reference, I notice a service guide here:

http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/aspire%206930%206930g.pdf

Edited by Platypus, 23 December 2013 - 06:47 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Skootchtheclock

Skootchtheclock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:57 AM

Oh, thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users