Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Questions About Startup Programs...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 k9picasso

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

Hello all, I'm so glad I found this site, it seems to be very helpful. I have an HP Notebook PC, XP Home Edition, 1.39 GHz, mobile AMD Athlon XP 1600+ processor, and 480 megabytes of RAM. I think I got got it in 2002, so "she's" a bit of date. Drives me crazy how fast they develop new technology.

I'd been wanting to get rid of (or stop from starting automatically) the malware, etc on my comp, so I downloaded Autorun, and followed the directions on the Startup Programs section of Bleeping Computer. I have a couple of questions:

1) I have many .dll files (shtml.dll, shell32.dll, and svchost.dll showing up most often). Is a ".dll" file ending the same as a ".exe"? In the database, I saw that all 3 of the previous were "bad", but those ended in ".exe" not ".dll". So - is shtml.dll the same as shtml.exe?

2) Should I be messing with this, or can I seriously damage my system, since I'm such a computer illiterate. It seems pretty straight-forward, but I don't want to crash my baby :thumbsup:

Thank you in advance for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,434 posts
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

No the dlls are different than the .exe. Out of the list you gave above, svchost.dll looks suspicous. If you want you can save the autorns log and post it here and we can help you with the entries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users