Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My System - Need help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tampa

Tampa

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hi all,

I built a computer about 4 years ago for 3D rendering and i'm starting to feel like my system isn't performing as well as it used to and im looking to invest in a few upgrades.  The Goal is to get maximum performance when rendering in Austodesk 3DS Max/Vray and Revit. 

My current build is:
-AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 
-Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 
-ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 Mobo
-Antec NeoECO C NEO ECO 520C 520W  PSU
-SPARKLE SXX460768D5NM GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB
-ASUS VH198T Black 19" 5ms LED Backlight LCD Monitor

Im mainly looking to upgrade the CPU, possibly the video card, and anything else that you guys think might be the limiting factor in my system. 

I am looking at investing in a Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz Processor. I think the extra cores will make a significant difference in render time. I'll probably try and take the old processor and make a render node for distributed rendering down the line.   

Im also looking at upgrading my video card to a EVGA 03G-P4-2667-KR GeForce GTX 660 FTW. I dont know how much of an upgrade this is, but I have been getting strange artifacts and random driver failures when playing certain games, so I think it may be time to get a new one anyway. 

My main questions are:
-Unless im mistaken, Intel CPUs wont work with AMD Mobo's. So, is there any Intel Mobo that you would recommend? 
-Is my PSU good enough for this setup?
-Are there any other components that might be bottle-necking my system?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

If you're going from an AMD to Intel CPU then you're really talking about a new system.

Personally my opinion is that any time you're talking about a new CPU and Video card you're talking about a new system.

You don't mention how much RAM you have or what operating system you're using.  RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.  But, if you're running at 32-bit operating system you can only see 4GB and probably use 3.5GB.

How much money do you have to spend on this project?

#3 Tampa

Tampa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

If you're going from an AMD to Intel CPU then you're really talking about a new system.

Personally my opinion is that any time you're talking about a new CPU and Video card you're talking about a new system.

You don't mention how much RAM you have or what operating system you're using.  RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.  But, if you're running at 32-bit operating system you can only see 4GB and probably use 3.5GB.

How much money do you have to spend on this project?

I have 8gb RAM right now, but for most of the projects I work on, I don't max our RAM. 

I don't have a set budget. I'd like to spend the bulk of the money on the processor, and then spend whatever else needs to be spent in order to hopefully have a significant reduction in render times. 

You're right, its mostly a new system. I still plan on using the PSU, disc drives, hard drives, monitor ect, but I feel like intel is doing a little better than AMD right now (i might be wrong) so I think I want to go that route.  

I plan to eventually use the old mobo, gpu, cpu to create a render node for distributed rendering. 

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

That is certainly a faster processor than the AMD (by Passmarks CPU benchmark, some 2.5x faster) but yes you will need a new motherboard. And as it's the high end Socket 2011 boards you need, these don't come cheap.

As it's for a specific purpose, perhaps the software developers will give some guidance on what is the best videocards etc. to use with that software?  I understand for some rendering work, professional graphics cards like Nvidia Quadro Pro's are preferred because of their higher precision (but they aren't so hot for gaming).

Edited by jonuk76, 23 December 2013 - 10:36 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

Your probably going to need a new PSU for the modern components you will be using. 520W will likely not be enough to keep an i7 and a 660 going.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:04 AM

Hi, for rendering you certainly do need a speedy CPU if you wanted to render faster and the 4930k is a step in the right direction. I'd keep the current graphics card and switch out the CPU, motherboard, power supply and CPU cooler. The reason for a new power supply is because the new components will be drawing more power during rendering and the current power supply will be stressed to the limits. The CPU packaging only provides the CPU alone, no stock cooler is included, so a CPU cooler is needed.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Tampa

Tampa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

Hi, for rendering you certainly do need a speedy CPU if you wanted to render faster and the 4930k is a step in the right direction. I'd keep the current graphics card and switch out the CPU, motherboard, power supply and CPU cooler. The reason for a new power supply is because the new components will be drawing more power during rendering and the current power supply will be stressed to the limits. The CPU packaging only provides the CPU alone, no stock cooler is included, so a CPU cooler is needed.

Do you have any recommendations for a good/affordable cooler that will hopefully fit in my case?  I thinking I may end up having to get a new case. 

Also, which Mobo would you recommend? 

Edited by Tampa, 24 December 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#8 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:36 AM

The stock cooler will be fine unless you plan to overclock, and if so a Coolermaster 212/Evo or a Noctua are both cheap and effective.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

Do you have any recommendations for a good/affordable cooler that will hopefully fit in my case?  I thinking I may end up having to get a new case. 

Also, which Mobo would you recommend? 
You could get closed loop watercooling unit like the Corsair H100i or H80i which can keep the temperature at the right levels. Asus's Sabertooth motherboards are generally pretty solid and reliable.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131801

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Any motherboard by a reputable manufacturer will do. A $300+ motherboard is obviously nice, but it may not be in his/her price range.

Decide on a budget, then consult any number of articles on this side to finalize your decision.

http://www.tomshardware.com/t/motherboards/

Unofficial iOS Genius

#11 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

Any motherboard by a reputable manufacturer will do. A $300+ motherboard is obviously nice, but it may not be in his/her price range.

Well, once you start playing with Socket 2011 systems, $300 motherboards are about the norm for decent feature sets and proper voltage regulation.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users