Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Document files are disappeared

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tech Charles

Tech Charles

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hi,

Recently, i have came across on a weird issue. My documents, profile files, music, downloads and desktop icons are disappeared (not found in hidden too). When i launch %temp% or %appdata%, it's redirecting to 

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\temp

instead of 

c:\users\user\appdata\local\temp

I can see all missing files there, but unable to open it. It shows as

"The document name or path is not valid".

Checked with Environmental variables and seems to be fine.

I would like to know exactly why this happen and what might cause this issues..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

Someone at my job had this issue recently.  I suspected malware, but the user had no intrenet access on the machine and the USB ports were locked down.  I did a google search on it (they were using Windows 7) and I found this. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

I did method 1.  Hope this helps. 

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

#3 Tech Charles

Tech Charles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi TriggerJinxed,

thx for the reply. But i didn't get any "warning error" at my login. Rather than that, what exactly is that new path (C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\temp)?

#4 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hey Charles,

I apologize for the late reply.  I believe that the new path is what occurs when your user profile becomes unavailable due to errors.  It could be malware, or as in the case of my end user, it was due to an incorrect log out.  She unplugged the machine shortly after clicking log out.  She did not get a warning message either, though. 

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

#5 Tech Charles

Tech Charles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the reply Trigger. Yes, it seems the user profile is corrupted. But i can see "TEMP" account newly created in my c:\users\..

But i'm not sure whether my PC is infected, as of i know i ran all the free tools and it's came clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users