Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated To Ie6

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TLJ

TLJ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:19 PM

Hi,

Long time reading, first time posting. You guys usually have great information on problems I've had in the past, but I don't know what to do about this. I am not a computer swami, barely get around the OS.

So, my question is this: When I updated to IE6, all of my email I get from businesses with that are suppose to show photos have boxes with red x's in the upper left hand corner. But the upside of it is, the puter doesn't crash as much anymore, and for Win 98 SE, that's saying something! It's just a bother to click the heading that says, "Can't see email? Click to open a browser".

Do I need to change IE settings? Do I need to update Java, Flash, JRE, Active X? I checked everywhere on this site, and there were a couple of questions that were close to my problem, but the information did not fix my issue. I am running Windows 98 SE on a Dell Optiplex GX1, Pentium 3. I even read information from Microsoft you guys listed, about MS Article 283807.

I'll wait right here for your answer. :thumbsup:

TLJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:45 PM

Check Tools -> Internet Options and on the Advanced tab make sure "Show Pictures" is checked. You may have security settings too high.

#3 TLJ

TLJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:59 AM

Hi Herk-
I just checked in Internet Explorer what you suggested. The "Show Pictures" has a check mark. Also, "Privacy" is set at medium. Any other things I should check? Thanks for your help!
TLJ

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

I've not had problems with it, but there are plenty of complaints on the web. Let's hope the next version of IE isn't as buggy as this one.

Try clearing your cache. Go to Tools -> Internet Options and click Delete Files. Check the box to add offline content. Then, when it finishes deleting, check the Settings button and make sure you have a sufficient amount of space.

I use Firefox almost exclusively. Of course, you need IE to get things from Microsoft or to run many online scanners, but for most surfing you can use Firefox and it's a more enjoyable experience.

#5 kenith

kenith

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:25 PM

hey tlj...I maybe too late to help with your problem but if you haven't resolved it...the problem you described can usually be fixed with a java update and maybe macromedia flashplayer update...

Kenith :thumbsup:

#6 TLJ

TLJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:43 AM

Thanks Herk and Kenith-

Herk, usually (almost everytime) I log off, will delete the cookies, temporary files and offline content thru IE when shutting down the puter. That little tip is (which I got from Bleeping Computer) is invaluable! Thanks!

Kenith. Yeah, I am thinking something needs to be updated (Win 98SE AND dial-up!). I checked the settings on my puter and since the issue just started with updating IE to Version 6, that is what I was leaning towards doing.

Puter is functioning, just don't have the shiny, pretty pictures in my email like other puters have! I have a hectic couple of days coming up and won't be messing too much with puter stuff, but I will update with info as I have a chance to.

I probably will need more suggestions, so don't be shy!

Love this website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

TLJ

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:05 AM

It occurs to me that, even though you say your problem is with email, you have not mentioned what you use for your email client. I'm guessing Outlook Express? If you are using something else, many other email clients do not support HTML and only show the mail in plain text. Outlook Express settings are affected by any differences in settings in Internet Explorer.

I don't delete cookies. Bad ones are usually picked up with Spybot or Ad-Aware and good ones can be useful, such as remembering me at this site. I used to use a cookie cleaner and manually select cookies to remove, but found that it's not necessary for the most part. This may be different when removing spyware - you may have some that are helping malware to function and removal would be a good idea.

My personal email client is Thunderbird, which gives the choice of viewing images to protect against incoming malicious HTML code. It imports everything from Outlook Express, including folders and mail and addresses.

#8 TLJ

TLJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

Herk-

I use AOL, and after reformatting and reinstalling Win 98 SE I had the pictures in the AOL email messages. Then, I went o update to IE 6 at the MS site, the boxes were in my email. Like I said, I am NOT a 'Puter Swami!

TLJ

#9 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

I'd rather have the Michaelangelo Virus than AOL on my computer.

I take up to three families a week off of AOL and set them up on my own ISP.
(I run my own Home Computer Business)

You have my deepest sympathy, although I can do nothing for your email problem.

Call AOL! If you can get someone who speaks English, maybe they can help you.
AOL just threw 1700 people out of work and closed their help center here in Jacksonville, FL.
and other US cities.

If I had any AOL stock, I'd sell it immediately. :thumbsup:

Good Luck,
The Shadow :flowers:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users