Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overwhelmed With Choices..please Help...need Backup Advice...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 atwnsw

atwnsw

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:41 PM

Okay, recently I had a major scare and thought that I lost everything on my computer... So, now I am going to buy an automated backup device.

I have read numerous posts and spoken to Buffalo tech about their linkstation wireless system. Totally confused which way to go....

For each system, I would like to use software such as Norton Ghost (never used it but ordered version 10.0 today for FAR) to make a complete backup (mirror or image) about once a month. Then, I would like to use another piece of software to make daily incremental backups for just the data only....

I have 1 desktop (60GB HD) which is hard wired to router...
I have 1 laptop (40GB HD) which is wireless.

Option A)
Buy 2 external USB 2.0 HD for each system
Downside: Double Cost and Double Setup
Cost around $100 per device x 2 = $200

Option :thumbsup:
Buy Buffalo Linkstation 250GB and run wireless backup and setup only once.
Downside: Slows up the internet connection and may take longer to backup.

Cost around $180-200

Option C)
????????

This is new to me but I have no problem spending the $$$. I just want
to do it right the first time.

Please take the time to give me some advice.

Thanks

Anthony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:11 PM

Hello,

Are you using the computer with the 60GB hard drive as some sort of network storage for your home or office LAN? If so, I recommend reading this article by Fred Langa called "A Complete Terabyte File Server For About $500". I just built one similar for a friend of mine for a price of $489.

This is a great article, and from the information you provided in your post, I think this might be right up your alley, plus it will free up your desktop pc from the resources it takes to manage your data, and let you be more productive.

You don't have to make it a terabyte of storage if you don't require that much space. For example maybe you only need half that, which is still alot of storage (500GB). This will save money, but make sure to plan for the future, meaning, make sure you allow room to upgrade and expand in the future.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 atwnsw

atwnsw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:30 AM

No, I just have 2 separate machines that both need to be backed up.........

so, I didn't know the best way to make it happen....

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

I believe you would be well served to use a NAS (Network Attached Storage) with MicroSoft Backup, located in system tools. Just plug it into an available ethernet port on your router. I know USB is all the rage but I find USB is more trouble compared to ethernet.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=H01P200-DT&cat=HDD
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users