Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you delete files that are no longer in the system?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Frustrayted

Frustrayted

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

There are many files that are no longer in the system.  When I go to the "start" button to search for a file name, I get hundreds of files that are no longer present.  How do I make them go away or otherwise delete them from the search box, so that I don't have to click hundreds of files to find the ONE I am looking for? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

You can try rebuilding the search index via the following:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/rebuilding-the-search-index-in-windows-vista/

#3 compuease

compuease

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

Click the Start Menu tab, and then, under Privacy, select the Store and display a list of recently opened files check box so that it is checked. This will add Recent Items to the Start menu. To remove Recent Items from the Start menu, clear the Store and display a list of recently opened files check box. This should completely remove the list. If you want to start a new list put the check mark back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users