Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried to upgrade (flash?) my BIOS.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Skootchtheclock

Skootchtheclock

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:53 AM

I don't know how to move a topic from a different thread so I'll just re-post it here.

I have an Acer Aspire 6930g. I downloaded the new BIOS version from the Acer website and unzipped it and ran the program. Now my computer screen is frozen and seems non-responsive and has been this way for almost 30 minutes. Did I just screw up my computer? Is there anything I can do? I'm currently on a spare computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

I don't see a previous post regarding flashing the BIOS...only your Oct malware topic.

Why did you determine that a BIOS flash would be beneficial?

Louis

#3 Skootchtheclock

Skootchtheclock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

I thought it would be the same as upgrading gpu firmware. Obviously I was severely mistaken. Is there anything I can do or is the laptop unfixable?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

This would require a restart to enter BIOS and then selecting "default/factory" settings.  That should force the BIOS to unload from the firmware chip and NOT the flash BIOS that now appears to be corrupt. 

#5 Skootchtheclock

Skootchtheclock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

Ok how would I do that? The computer is currently on with the screen frozen on the bios update program. A step-by-step would be super helpful. Thanks.
I am running windows 7.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

A BIOS update should not take 30 minutes, more like five.  A bad BIOS update can brick a system, read make it completely unusable.

Please let us know if you are able to restart the machine as mjd420nova suggested, and set the BIOS to default/factory settings.

Hold down the power button for 10 seconds, or until the machine turns off

Turn the machine on and press the key required to get into the BIOS, usually F2, F10, or DEL

The option to set to default settings is normally on the first page.

#7 Skootchtheclock

Skootchtheclock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

OK. I restarted the computer and entered the BIOS by pressing F2. When it listed the BIOS version it was the original version (3221) and not the one I tried to flash it to (3238). So instead of pressing reset to default i just booted up the computer normally and it turned on and seems to be working fine.

Do you think I should restart and reset to default BIOS anyway or is it fine the way it is? 

Edited by Skootchtheclock, 23 December 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

I'd try and do the BIOS update again, since it didn't take.  If it runs in Windows shut down any programs you have running and try it again.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'd try and do the BIOS update again, since it didn't take.  If it runs in Windows shut down any programs you have running and try it again.

I would not...if the system is running well and there is no additional benefit from a BIOS update...why bother with the chance of bricking the system?

Louis

#10 Skootchtheclock

Skootchtheclock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

OK, thanks for the help. I was really getting worried that I bricked it.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

I was assuming that there was a reason for wanting to update the BIOS in the first place.  If it isn't to resolve an existing issue then not installing the BIOS update is fine.  Normally with BIOS updates I don't recommend installing unless it is to resolve an existing issue or to add a feature.

That all said, I've only bricked one machine with a BIOS update in over a decade of working with computers on a personal and professional level.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

:thumbup2: ...it only takes one time...for users who don't backup, don't have a Windows install disk, etc.

BIOS updates are akin, IMO, to driver updates...if the system is running satisfactorily, there's no reason to attempt either where nothing is gained.

If there is a need...such should be done.  No need, then why take an unnecessary risk where something could go wrong?  We all get enough of those without looking for them :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users