Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bootmgr missing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:27 AM

Maybe wrong section but posting this here because of expanding wndows files

Was giving a DELL INSPIRON 1545 to have a look at. Before i did any thing i backed up the hard drive with an external reader.

The BIOS would fully load and load past the VISTA loading screen to where it should load the login screen. This stayed black with an active mouse. Nothing to worrying i though and since i have an old W7 cd i though id upgrade. before i upgraded i tried startup repair(different OS but gave it a shot) start up repair would not work the message was something "Offline** ahh sod it lets upgrade. The install w7 cd loaded fine but stalls expanding windows files 0%

Lets go old skool, i fired 3 old linux copies none which would install. all would run memory tests but not install. Windows XP why not i though just to get it running. Installed fine. rebooted. BOOTMRG IS MISSING, Maybe down grading was not a good idea.

Burnt a new copy of w7, didnt like that. Would just go straight to bootmsg missing. Maybe i burnt it wrong. *shurg* lets try XP again, starts installing then BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. *more hair is pulled out* downloaded a copy of vista, wont run. "Maybe i burnt it wrong" part 2

ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

If I am reading correctly...you had an Inspiron 1545 which came with Vista...and you tried to use some "old W7 cd" to overcome your system problems. 

Was this CD a Dell CD...a Microsoft Genuine Windows 7 Upgrade DVD...what was the origin of the disk?  Do you have a Win 7 license to go with the attempted Win 7 install?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

There is a recovery partition which normally could be used to restore the operating system to its factory condition.  If you weren't able to install Windows 7 there's a chance that you still may be able to use the recovery partition, but you must be able to access the Advanced Boot Options in order to do this.  To do this you need to start tapping the F8 key immediately after pressing the power button.

If you can't access the advanced boot options you will need a recovery disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:37 AM

Ah its ok resolved it last night, manged to get XP installed then w7 then w7 pro. higher up the ladder each time. And yes they are all legit copies. Friend owns a computer shop.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Glad to hear you have it resolved. :santa:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users