Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lasso and Magic Wand Issues with Adobe Illustrator

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 XARZU

XARZU

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

Hello Forum. 

I have been having issues with using the Magic Wand tool in Adobe Illustrator as well as the lasso tool. 

Basically, I am trying to put a small graphic into a new Illustrator file.

The first thing I tried to do is to use the magic wand tool.  But I found out that this did not work on a jpeg image since it did not have any individual objects to select.

So I tried something new.  I opened the file in Adobe Photoshop and used the lasso tool to select an area.  Then I coped this area.  Then I tried to paste it into Adobe Illustrator.  But the background was not transparent for the pasted image. 

How do I make the background transparent.

I made this small video to show what I am talking about:

http://youtu.be/2LgMGEF6z10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hello!

I am not familiar with Adobe Illustrator, but I can tell you how the same task is accomplished in Paint Shop Pro, and maybe it will give you some hints.

In Paint Shop Pro, first you would outline your selection, then go to the "edit" menu and click "copy", go back to the "edit" menu and click "paste as new image", then go to the "file" menu and click "save as", and be sure to "save" as a "PNG" file.

A PNG file will not show the white background square.

But, as I said, I do not know if adobe Illustrator offers the PNG format.

If not, experiment with any formats they do offer, you may find another that works, but PNG is the only one I know of.

I hope this helps you, please let us know, we may be able to offer more advice.

#3 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

Also, I did a little experiment in Photo Shop CS2, it works a little differently there.

You can use the "magic lasso tool" to make your selection, then in "edit" select "copy", Again in "edit" select "paste".

Now go over to the "layers" palate at the right side of the window and click on the "eye" symbol on the "background" layer, this will make the background disappear and only your selection will be showing.

Then in the "file" menu, click "save as", and in the window that opens, in "format" select "PNG" and save to your desired location.

If you can then import that file into Adobe Illustrator, the background will not show, the key is to get your selection into "PNG" format, JPEG files will always have that background showing.

I hope this helps you out!

Edited by GB2064, 23 December 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#4 XARZU

XARZU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Yes, Paint Shop Pro seems to be a lot less of a head ache.  I think I might take that route soon if I do not make some headway with Adobe.

I tried making the background invisible by clicking that eye thing and it still did not work, by the way.  But I will give it another shot by saving the file.

Edited by XARZU, 23 December 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#5 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

Were you using Photo Shop this time?

If you were, please read my instructions again and it should work for you.

Remember, after you make your selection, then go to "edit" click "copy" go to "edit" again, click "paste".

Now when you look at the layers palate, there will be two layers showing, click the "eye" on the layer labeled "background", then in your work area, you will only see your selection.

Then go to the "file" menu and click "save as", in the window that opens, click the "format" button, and choose "PNG" from the list, then select where you want to save your selection,(I would just save it to the desktop).

When you import that saved PNG file into your Adobe Illustrator, or any other photo program, that annoying square background will be invisible.

Take your time, and keep trying, and I am sure you will have success.

It is easier in Paint Shop Pro, that is actually the program I use all the time, but just using Photo Shop CS2 last night, by trial and error I was able to get it done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users