Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netsvcs Memory Hog

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nightsbridge

Nightsbridge

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:51 AM

I've been experiencing a running problem with my computer running recently. I am on a windows seven computer. My memory has been consistently high, to the point that it reaches up to 95%. My first suspicion was that I was simply running too many programs and tried to cut back, but it still happened. After some digging I tracked down the source by going into processes, needing to open even the ones that required special permissions to view, and have found that the culprit is a svchost.exe program. I went into performance and into resource monitoring and found that this particular svchost program was linked to 'Netsvcs.' It devours my memory on occasion, swelling up every last drop until it takes more memory to run than most games I play on this PC. It has reached the point where I sometimes cannot open text documents or surf the web. If I click 'end process' the problem sometimes goes away for a while, sometimes it does not, and it almost always resurfaces.

A bit of research confirmed that this was actually a legitimate program, but I still find it kind of sketchy that it takes up that much memory. Something must be wrong. I'm just unsure of what could be causing it. 

Edited by Nightsbridge, 23 December 2013 - 02:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Use the Task Manager to see what programs are using your hdd.

1)  Right click on the Taskbar to open the Task Manager.

2)  Click on the Performance tab in Task Manager.

3)  Click on the Resource Monitor button, then click on the Disk tab.

4)  When the Process with Disk Activity opens you will be able to see which programs are accessing your hdd.   

Please use the Snipping Tool to copy the image of the Process with Disk Activity, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.   After you have the image you will want to go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name and click on save .

Using the Snipping Tool to copy an image. 

To open the Snipping tool click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type snipping tool in the search box.  Snipping Tool will appear above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.  

Before you open the Snipping Tool have the image you want to copy one the destop, then open the Snipping Tool.

A small white cross (+) will appear on the screen, move this to the lower left corner of the image you want to copy, press and hold the mouse and slowly move it to the right and upwards.  You will see a red rectangle form around the image, when you have the image isolated that you want, release the mouse.  

After you have the image you will go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name then click on Save.    

You can post this image in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Nightsbridge

Nightsbridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Apologies if this took a little long for me to get back too, I didn't have the problem for a few days and wasn't in a huge rush to find it again. But it's here again, as it always is. I followed your instructions as best I could. Image is attached. I am unsure if this reflects my reoccuring problem, but I threw it up here since I saw it taking up a good portion of my memory at the time.

Edit: I am beginning to think I jumped the gun on this report. The problem vanished quickly, unlike previous times where it persisted until I interfered directly.

Attached Files

Edited by Nightsbridge, 25 December 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

Open the Task Manager and click on the Services tab.

Scroll down till you find svhost.exe (netsvcs), right click on it and choose Stop Service.  Reboot the computer to see if the problem persists.

If it does go back and choose Start Service.

Next try the same with svchost.exe (Local System Net...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Nightsbridge

Nightsbridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Excuse me, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. There were recent troubles that made computer issues suddenly far less important for a while.

There is no such service listed in the service tab. Not even when the problem is huge.

Edited by Nightsbridge, 21 January 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Download Sysinternals Process Explorer from http://www.microsoft.com and run that to see the sub-process that is causing issues.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

When you experience the same high memory usage next time, try using speccy to capture the initial readings.

Download Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

When you experience the same high memory usage next time, try using speccy to capture the initial readings.

Download Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

That is not going to show what the OP is wanting.  Process Explorer is what they need to use, to find out what the Sub-process is eating up the CPU.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

That is not going to show what the OP is wanting.  Process Explorer is what they need to use, to find out what the Sub-process is eating up the CPU.

Read the title and the original post carefully.

Tekken

#10 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

Read the title and the original post carefully.

I did.  The only way they are going to find out, is by using the two tools I stated, not Speccy or some other tool.

#11 Nightsbridge

Nightsbridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

I am honestly not entirely sure how this information helps me. I will follow Jhayz's instructions as well and post them up, if I can.

Attached Files

#12 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

Skype & Feed reader are the two that need to be looked at.  But also sort by CPU, bringing the highest running processes to the top.  Process Monitor takes some time to gather, but it will also help to determine which sub-process is eating up memory & cpu.

Feed Reader was not using much CPU time in that shot, but it is using a lot of memory, which it should not be doing.  Same with Skype was active when you ran this.  Run it again, but shut down all things like Skype and others in your Task area or run at start, by using msconfig, to boot up in "Diagnostic Boot-up", so you have the minimal processes running.  Then go from there.

Nailing down the hog can take some time, but with Process Explorer & ProcessMon, you can find the hogs within about 30 min's usually.

#13 Nightsbridge

Nightsbridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

CPU use has never been a reoccuring problem, the issue has always been an excess of memory. The hog is clearly svchost, beyond the shadow of a doubt. But I can't do anything about it, and that's my problem, as was established in my first post. I know it is svchost, I know it is using too much memory, and I want to do something about that. Skype and feedreader were never part of the equation.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Please post the speccy link next time.

Tekken

#15 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:12 AM

CPU use has never been a reoccuring problem, the issue has always been an excess of memory. The hog is clearly svchost, beyond the shadow of a doubt. But I can't do anything about it, and that's my problem, as was established in my first post. I know it is svchost, I know it is using too much memory, and I want to do something about that. Skype and feedreader were never part of the equation.

SVChost is not just one process.  It is many processes with many sub-processes.  That is why I asked you to use both Process Monitor and Process Explorer to narrow down what is the hog for both CPU & Memory.  Speccy is not going to show this info, to help diagnose in a live environment.  All Speccy does, is takes a snapshot of that instant, the hardware and software on the machine.

You are going to have to use Process Explorer while you are doing stuff, so you can see exactly what is the sub-process that is the culprit.  Then you can go from there.  There is no magic key to doing this.  Speccy especially is not going to fix your problem, since all it is intended for, is to be used as a diagnostic tool, just like Minitoolbox.  You also have to understand those two tools, to fully use them for what they were intended for.  Otherwise, just running them and not knowing all of the information they gather, let alone that especially Speccy loads that info to a server and warehouses everything that people run with that tool on their server.

I will tell you that Speccy does have a bad habit of miss-reporting stuff, that is why I do not push people to use it.  If I ever have to do any type of work, trying to get a snapshot, I use hwinfo over Speccy, because hwinfo does not warehouse the snapshots, and also does not miss-report hardware information.  Especially when you work with a lot of older hardware, such as I deal with for most of my customers.

Here, just so there is no argument on my statement that Speccy data warehouses all results this is a search showing all that are available. https://www.google.com/#q=http:%2F%2Fspeccy.piriform.com%2Fresults&safe=off  Now after going to that google link, would you want your public DNS and private computer information for everyone around the globe to see, or have a way to find a way to get into your network, let alone attack your computers by using the public DNS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users