Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD-ROM not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shivashish

Shivashish

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

Hi,

My DVD-ROM has been out of order for the past few months. I have no idea as to why this has happened. The exact problem is that my cd/dvd data does not show up in "Computer" (in windows 7). I will provide my computer specificcations so that you will not have to ask for them.

System

Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz

Installed memory(RAM): 4.00 GB (3.61 GB usable) 

System type: 32-bit Operating System

Pen and touch: No pen or touch input is available for this display

Windows edition 

Windows 7 Professional 

Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Service Pack 1

I would be grateful to you for the solution you shall provide. 

Thanks,

Shivashish.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

First thing is to check the connections to the DVD ROM Drive.  Disconnect and reconnect (on both ends if this is a desktop).

I take it that the drive ejects, meaning that power should be good.

If the drive still does not read it may need to be replaced.

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

If you have installed/uninstalled any burning software (iTunes is a frequent offender), you may find that you need to perform a simple Registry edit to get the drive working again. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

The KB article specifically addresses issues in Vista, but the filter driver problem and the associated Registry keys are identical in XP, Vista, Win7, and even Win8. Following the instructions in the MS KnowledgeBase link will usually restore function to the drive, but may require re-installing your burning software of choice. My experience is that failing optical drives rarely disappear, but instead start having problems correctly reading and identifying media; a data disk may be seen as a music disk, etc. So this is one of those cases where I would expect software issues to be more likely than hardware problems.

Edited by slgrieb, 24 December 2013 - 08:48 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users