Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update has died

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518202/windows-update-never-completes/ - Hamluis.

This is my first post

I was wondering why I haven't seen windows updates lately. I'm running a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP SP3 installed. When I went to the Microsoft site to check for Windows updates (and I know that XP is losing support in April 2014 so I want to make sure I have all the updates now) I got this error message:

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the problem: I took those steps and nothing happened.

The error number was 0x8024801.

I went to the Microsoft  site and downloaded that program--the diagcab file asked me to tell it which program opened it and I have no idea so I can't run it

I did find another Microsoft program (Windows Fix it) that fixes Windows update but in the middle of the process, I got an error message that the Windows Power shell failed to install. I disabled my firewall and tried again to no avail. My antivirus program shows no infections. I've used Ccleaner to clean out garbage but that didn't resolve this issue.

I did notice, however, that in the past week, the computer takes about 5 minutes to shut down and reboot. This never happened before. As soon as I go to the start button to shut down. the hourglass comes up and stays up for about 3 minutes. Then the shutdown/reboot process continues as usual but slower.

But why Windows update isn't working, I'm clueless about that. All my other programs are working.
As recommended here, I  downloading a program from microsoft to update IE 8 that solved the problem for others. I downloaded the Microsoft program but got an error message that said that Microsoft could not verify the integrity of the update.inf.file and I should make sure the crytographic service is running. I checked and it is indicated as started.

My concern is that Microsoft Fix it connect install the Power shell and stops so I suspect I have a registry error somewhere. My bigger concern is that if that's the case, I know there are a lot of bogus registry fixes out there and I've seen complaints all over the Internet that most of them don't work. So I'm at a standstill with this.

I know I could reinstall Windows XP then service pack 2 then service pack three but a custom install would wipe out all my programs and I have a lot of stuff working on this computer. If there were a good program that really works to fix the registry, I would be interested. Otherwise, if there's a simple fix for this I'm all ears.

Edited by hamluis, 23 December 2013 - 02:27 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

@  Godzilla

First of all, welcome to BC !

Second - start a new thread of your own with this problem - your problem is not the same as that of the OP, AgentH, and trying to solve two sets of problems in the one thread becomes very confusing for everybody.

Third - Happy New Year when it comes !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:27 AM

Windows update becoming a problem more and more it seems,make sure you have all relevant services running,maybe

try restarting the update service and rebooting,make sure you update internet explorer before anything else,that seems to really help.

How long since you last updated,do you have a restore point you could goback to?

Have a look at these threads,running the windows all in one fix tool might help,and wont hurt, (just the update fix).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518202/windows-update-never-completes/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517949/unable-to-update-xp-after-numerous-rebuilds/

Edited by Wolverine 7, 23 December 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#4 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I've checked and all re required services are started, I've rebooted and cannot download Internet explorer--I get an error message that doesn't let it load and I followed the steps suggested in the thread above that ends with windows-update-never-completes. I haven't done any rebuilds so I didn't check the second thread.

#5 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:06 AM

Unfortunately, I can't even get the express updates to download. I've tried after rebooting too. It appears that something is blocking Windows Internent explorer on my computer. It used to work fine and just disappeared.

#6 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:14 AM

My mistake, I meant I couldn't download Windows update not Internet explorer, which is working (although 3 times slower than Firefox).

#7 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:45 AM

I also didn't realize that I had two threads here and was combining my issues with those of Agentx. As I'm new here I was confused. I will continue my issues on this thread.

When I go to System Properties>automatic Updates the whole applet freezes on my screen. I can't even get rid of it with Control Alt Delete and have to reboot to get rid of this. Everything else works. The only other thing I notice is that when I attempt to reboot, the hourglass comes on for 3 minutes and the reboot takes about 6 minutes. This never happened before. I can't download Windows updates and can't download the Microsoft fix it tool. I can download everything else that has nothing to do with this issue.

I'm wondering if I go to the Microsoft site and download the latest version of SP3, will it overwrite my present one and restore Windows update? I don't want to try that if it will create a conflict or if it will create two versions of SP3 on my system.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

Do not try and reinstall SP3. Download the portable version of Windows Repair (all in one) and only check box #16, Repair Windows Update. Does this resolve the issue?

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 December 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#9 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:02 AM

John, before I follow your instructions, the question I have is that I notice you referred me to the portable version of the Windows repair tool. Upon going to the download site, I noticed that the portable tool is used for portable devices like thumb drives.  I'm confused because Windows XP is on my C: drive, which isn't portable.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:52 AM

Hello -

Just a quick question - Do you still have your XP CD ??

Or are you able to get a copy of XP to match your version ??

Following, are you using the "sick" computer to post this ??

If you are using the sick computer, please run these scans -

Download Screen317 Security Check and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
* Please post the contents of that document.
Note:: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.
Make sure the following options are checked:
* Internet Services
* Windows Firewall
* System Restore
* Security Center/Action Center
* Windows Update
* Windows Defender
* Other Services

Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Finally -

Please post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy << Follow These Directions

Thank You -

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

John, before I follow your instructions, the question I have is that I notice you referred me to the portable version of the Windows repair tool. Upon going to the download site, I noticed that the portable tool is used for portable devices like thumb drives.  I'm confused because Windows XP is on my C: drive, which isn't portable.

Yes, the program is portable but it can still be run from the desktop. But, please follow @noknojon's advise and do not try to run the repair utility as this could interfere with what @noknojon is helping you with.
Good Luck.

#12 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

Before I go further, I followed John C's suggestion to use the windows repair tool which came up with the following error message:

c:windows\softwaredistribution\datastorage\logs\temp.edb - is corrupt Run chdsk utility. 

When I went to Windows update, it still wouldn't run and when Windows went to the diagnostic, it was greyed out and wouldn't open.

Also, I can't find a way of replying to responses other than to reply at the end of the thread.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

That's the standard way of replying...it does the job.

Louis

#14 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

I tried chkdsk /r from the command prompt and got the volume wasn't available. At this point, I'll try some of noknojon's

above suggestions and see if anything works. I find it hard to believe that it's so hard to correct Windows Update access.

If I have to reinstall xp with the system disk, I think I saw somewhere that I will lose everything and will have to reinstall all my programs and drivers. Is that the case? If so, it might be easier not to have Windows Update but I would like to have at least the cumulative updates being there will be no more after April, 2014.  I also can't get these right now.  Do I need SP1 to install SP3 as I have SP2?

I might mention that the tweaking.com program suggested above caused my Total Defense antivirus program to stop email protection. Total Defense fixed it.

#15 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

To follow Noknojon's resolution, I do have the original XP CD.

Heres the checkup.txt file:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.77  
 Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86   
 Internet Explorer 8  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
 Anti-Virus Plus     
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Out of date HijackThis  installed!
 HijackThis 2.0.2    
 CCleaner     
 Adobe Flash Player     11.9.900.170  
 Adobe Reader XI  
 Mozilla Firefox (26.0)
 Mozilla Thunderbird (24.2.0)
 Google Chrome 31.0.1650.57  
 Google Chrome 31.0.1650.63  
 Google Chrome Plugins...  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Total Defense Internet Security Suite Anti-Virus Plus caamsvc.exe
 Total Defense Internet Security Suite Anti-Virus Plus isafe.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C::  
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Here's the FSS.txt file:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Disabled Policy:
========================

Security Center:
============

Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy:
============================

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcpcsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\netbt.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\ipsec.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipnathlp.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netman.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\srsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\sr.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauserv.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\es.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe => MD5 is legit

Extra List:
=======
Gpc(6) IPSec(4) NetBT(5) PSched(7) Tcpip(3)
0x09000000040000000100000002000000030000000A00000005000000060000000700000008000000
IpSec Tag value is correct.

**** End of log ****

The speccy link will be sent in the next message

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users