Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NVIDIA Update creates Updatus User account?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gm1138

gm1138

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

I recently wiped my hard drive and installed Windows 7 Home Premium. After completing installation and updates, I proceeded to do a bare metal backup using Windows 7's built-in Backup application.

In addition to creating a whole disk image, the application offered to backup files for the default admin account as well as my user account, but it also listed an account called "Updatus User." (This account does not appear in the Use Accounts control panel.)

Internet searches indicate the account is created by NVIDIA's update notification software, and can be deleted by uninstalling the software.

I'm not sure what to do; I want my computer to be up-to-date, but I've never heard of a program having the audacity to create a user account for itself, and I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the idea.

Any advice would be appreciated!

GM

My Computer:

HP Compaq Presario CQ50z-100 

Dual boot: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1/Ubuntu 12.04

Edited by hamluis, 23 December 2013 - 11:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

Seems that nVidia has provided all the info you need, http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3067 .

Louis

#3 gm1138

gm1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

Thanks Louis, that link doesn't appear in my search results. It sort of answers my concerns, but I just don't think it's reasonable for any driver or application to create a user account in order to update.

I've decided to uninstall the updater, and I'll simply check for updates manually on a monthly basis or so.

GM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users