Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus A53Z won't run most programs now

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CaryHM

CaryHM

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

A couple weeks ago, I noticed Youtube videos and Pinterest images wouldn't display on my Firefox, saying Java wasn't updated.  I double-checked, and I had the latest version.  But slowly, other things started not working.  It wouldn't display pictures.  I couldn't watch any videos or anything even on Chrome.  Now I can't even open my browsers.  I've backed up my docs and was going to do a full wipe of the drive if I had to, but I didn't want to.  Instead, I tried a system restore with several dates.  None of them would work.  I also tried the system diagnostic repair, and it said it could not be repaired.  Over the past week or two, it's said I am missing several dll files.  I think the first one today was gdi.dll and now it's saying I can't open any program because I'm missing LPK.dll.  I can boot it up and see my desktop, but that's about it.  Of course it has Windows 7.  Should I try something before reformatting?  Because honestly, I only have a Win98 disk and don't have any idea how to access Windows on the partition that supposedly backs it up.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by CaryHM, 22 December 2013 - 11:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=A53Z&s=299&hashedid=n/a&os=&no=1775

Of course...this will delete everything currently on the drive, just as a clean install would...restoring the system to "when purchased" status.

Louis

#3 CaryHM

CaryHM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Thank you!  I'm in the process of doing this - but I don't know which choice to pick.  Do I recover the first partition only, the entire HD or the entire HD with two partitions? 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

I don't know any more about recovery partitions and how to use them...than is specified in the link I previously provided.  You might contact Asus technical support if you have questions about implementation of Asus instructions.

Louis

#5 CaryHM

CaryHM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Thank you :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users