Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting all partitions in win7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 00pm

00pm

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

I have a fujitsu sh531 notebook with win7.I have formatted win7 for the first time.At some point it asked me which drive to format.There were partitions 4 partitions:

1 WINRE 2GB system
2 system ~500gb logical
3 HDBR_DRIVER 5gb oem (reserved)
4 HDBR_OS 13gb oem (reserved)

I formatted only second one not to mess things up but if its ok i want to format all of them in case of malware.

My question is what are these partitions used for and is it ok if i format them?

edit: btw i have a dvd for drivers

Edited by 00pm, 22 December 2013 - 06:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Are you using a recovery disk that came with you computer or a Windows 7 disk? It appears the otehr partitions were created by the factory install. Partition 1 appears to be your boot files. 2 is for the operating system. If you use the recovery disk these should be recreated for you. If a fresh install, the HDD will be formatted with a seperate hidden partition for your boot files.

#3 00pm

00pm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

Are you using a recovery disk that came with you computer or a Windows 7 disk? It appears the otehr partitions were created by the factory install. Partition 1 appears to be your boot files. 2 is for the operating system. If you use the recovery disk these should be recreated for you. If a fresh install, the HDD will be formatted with a seperate hidden partition for your boot files.

Yes i use a recovery dvd.It contains win 7.So can i format all of them?

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

That's what the recovery disk is for. You may have the option to recover with or without formatting. May I ask why you are afraid you may have malware? Perhaps we can help you fix your problems and not have to reformat.

#5 00pm

00pm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Normally i have deepfreeze for some reason it was deactivated and i pluged some flash drivers belonging to other people.I am afraid those flash drives may have infected my pc.There werent many data on it anyway

Edited by 00pm, 22 December 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#6 00pm

00pm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for replying.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

You can run those through a barrage of tools on this website to help clean just about anything. You can also try a offline virus scanner cd. You boot from it and do a check on each drive. Scroll down the list there is like 2 more pages of ones to choose from. Just pick your flavor. Just download the iso and burn it to cd....  http://www.raymond.cc/blog/13-antivirus-rescue-cds-software-compared-in-search-for-the-best-rescue-disk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users