Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Watch Cable and Console on PC?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AddictedPro

AddictedPro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

I was wondering if I could be able to watch cable and play my console on my PC. My cable utilizes a digital coaxial cable, and my console uses a  5 RCA HD Cable or component cable. I only have a PC Monitor and would like to be able to use it instead of buying a separate TV to play and watch. I have an old Hauppauge HDPVR that can transmit a component source to my computer screen, but there is a small video delay that makes it difficult to play, and also cannot be used to transmit my digital cable. My current monitor is a DELL ST2220L, if that helps at all.

Is there some sort of external hardware than can let me stream a composite and digital cable source to my PC, with no delay?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Other than a different Video Capture devices I can't see doing it through the computer.  Odds are that another video capture device would have the same delay issue, not a big deal when you're watching something, but a problem if you're playing.

The cost of any solution is going to be in the ball park of a lower end TV.

#3 AddictedPro

AddictedPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Other than a different Video Capture devices I can't see doing it through the computer.  Odds are that another video capture device would have the same delay issue, not a big deal when you're watching something, but a problem if you're playing.

The cost of any solution is going to be in the ball park of a lower end TV.

Yeah, I figured it would. Guess I may just replace my computer monitor with an HDTV that has HDMI and other ports. Thanks for the answer!

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Can't you just connect the three devices to your monitor without running them through the PC?  The spec shows the monitor has three inputs, one each of DVI, HDMI, VGA.  I don't know what console it is but assuming an older Xbox 360 without a HDMI output, you can get a VGA cable.  I'm not sure what the digital coaxial output on the cable box is.  I thought most HD cable boxes would output their picture through HDMI - digital co-axial is normally just used for outputting digital sound?

You would have to do something about the sound as the monitor doesn't have speakers in the spec.  Perhaps an external amp or similar.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 AddictedPro

AddictedPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

Wow never thought about that, I guess I could get that cable for the 360. I have an extra amp somewhere I can use too. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users