Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop Will NOT connect to the internet..

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MistyC

MistyC

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hi I am trying to help my neighbor. Her laptop will not go online. First the ethernet cable drivers were not installed.. Installed them. Ran CCleaner, avg, Malwarebytes (on fast & it found 1.. Removed it./restarted PC) Now I  am running it on the Full scan...

It is Windows 7 ... 32... Internet explorer 11.02

When I go online it gives me this error:

This Page can't be displayed

-make sure the web address http://msn.com is correct

-Look for the Page with your search engine

-Refresh the page in a few minutes

It gives me the option to fix connection problems.. when I click on it I get told Troubleshooting couldnt identify the problem.

If I go to a page she has never been, it just stays a blank page & doesnt go anywhere...

Ping results are attached..

Any advice? TYIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Can se get to http://65.55.206.228 ?

#3 djsi

djsi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Are you trying to connect wired or wireless?I wonder why the ethernet drivers weren't already installed on her laptop?

Be sure her internet can be connected to first of all with a working pc.

#4 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

Can se get to http://65.55.206.228 ?

No She cant. it gives me the same error..

#5 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

Are you trying to connect wired or wireless?I wonder why the ethernet drivers weren't already installed on her laptop?

Be sure her internet can be connected to first of all with a working pc.

I tried both wired & wireless.. We have 2 DSL lines in our house so I tried hard wired into both (one at a time of course) and via the wireless on both. She also has wireless over at her house & it doesnt work there either..

We do have multiple pc's & wireless devices hooked up to each network & they all get online fine.

Ty for your help!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

Just a thought, but here the ethernet connection isn't working, and neither is the wireless connection.

Barring the less likely possibility that both systems have independently decided to fail, then we are looking at what is common to both of these, and it starts at the browser and then the Windows software that translates between the browser and network drivers.

Have you considered trying a different browser ?  Firefox, Chrome, Safari to name but three. If trying one of these makes no difference I would suggest using 'Safe mode' (normally press 'F8' at the BIOS screen) and selecting first 'Last known good configuration', and if that doesn't work, 'Windows repair'.

It is known that some computers - for various reasons - have had issues with IE 11.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

In the Network Connections control panel, under Internet Protocol version 4, is the obtain IP address automatically checked? If not please check it.

#8 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Just a thought, but here the ethernet connection isn't working, and neither is the wireless connection.

Barring the less likely possibility that both systems have independently decided to fail, then we are looking at what is common to both of these, and it starts at the browser and then the Windows software that translates between the browser and network drivers.

Have you considered trying a different browser ?  Firefox, Chrome, Safari to name but three. If trying one of these makes no difference I would suggest using 'Safe mode' (normally press 'F8' at the BIOS screen) and selecting first 'Last known good configuration', and if that doesn't work, 'Windows repair'.

It is known that some computers - for various reasons - have had issues with IE 11.

Chris Cosgrove

Okay we downloaded Firefox to her PC using the USB stick. It will open to the firefox start screen but everytime we tell it to go anywhere it just sits there...

In the Network Connections control panel, under Internet Protocol version 4, is the obtain IP address automatically checked? If not please check it.

We are trying to find where the internet protocol thing is right now...

Edited by MistyC, 24 December 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#9 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

Ok found it.. It was already checked..

We did try rolling it back when she first brought it to us.. no go.

#10 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Let's try doing a DNS Flush.

1. Click the Start button.
  2. Enter cmd in the Start menu search field.
  3. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  4. Type the following command and press Enter: ipconfig /flushdns
  5. If the command was successful, you will see the following message:

#11 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Let's try doing a DNS Flush.

1. Click the Start button.
  2. Enter cmd in the Start menu search field.
  3. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  4. Type the following command and press Enter: ipconfig /flushdns
  5. If the command was successful, you will see the following message:

said it was succesful but still doesnt work.. Ty for your help btw

#12 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

After trying all the things you tried have you unplugged your modem for a few seconds and let it reset itself? If that doesn't work, I'd call your ISP and ask them to reset your connection.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

When you go to device manage, make sure there are no exclamation marks next to the network adapters. Even though the drivers were installed, there could be an issue.

If there are no exclamation marks in Device Manager, make sure there is no connection through a proxy on IE. InternetOptions>Connections Tab>Lan Settings. Make sure Use a Proxy Server is not checked. If it is check, uncheck it and see if you can connect.  If it is not checked try resetting Winsock and the TCP/IP stack. Start> type CMD in the search box >right click  on cmd and select run as administrator.Type these commands.

netsh winsock reset catalog   

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

#14 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

After trying all the things you tried have you unplugged your modem for a few seconds and let it reset itself? If that doesn't work, I'd call your ISP and ask them to reset your connection.

This wont work as I have multiple other computers & wifi items hooked up. We have tried it on 3 different networks as well.. (I have 2 DSL lines myself both with wifi & I tried it on both my wifi's & Hard wired them both as well)

When you go to device manage, make sure there are no exclamation marks next to the network adapters. Even though the drivers were installed, there could be an issue.

If there are no exclamation marks in Device Manager, make sure there is no connection through a proxy on IE. InternetOptions>Connections Tab>Lan Settings. Make sure Use a Proxy Server is not checked. If it is check, uncheck it and see if you can connect.  If it is not checked try resetting Winsock and the TCP/IP stack. Start> type CMD in the search box >right click  on cmd and select run as administrator.Type these commands.

netsh winsock reset catalog   

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

NM Tried it now lol. The Proxy was NOT checked.. No errors in DM... Reset the Winsock (successful) & Tcp stack.. Restarted the PC.. OMGosh!! It worked!! TY SO MUCH!! What a great Christmas Present it will be to be able to hand her back her PC!!

TY TY TY

Edited by MistyC, 26 December 2013 - 01:08 AM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

You are welcome and thank you for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users