Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI Ransomware May Infect Firefox In Linux Distros

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

According to user comments here FBI Ransomware Now Targeting Apple's Mac OS X Users | Malwarebytes Unpacked

Ransomware has infected Firefox in a Linux distro.....(zorin OS 6.0)

You can block the scripting used to infect Firefox by using the NoScript Add-on.

If you do get the Ransomware popups it is likely that all you have to do is clean up the Firefox cache. I use BleachBit

to vacuum Firefox as well. BleachBit is similar to Ccleaner.

Whether Chrome is targeted or not I don't know. But the same would likely apply....delete the cache if the Ransomware popups/ windows

occur.

EDIT: To protect your Firefox further, regularly backup your Firefox profile in case it gets corrupted by crapware such as this or for 

other reasons and you need to remove it. If you need help doing that: Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles | Firefox Help

Edited by buddy215, 22 December 2013 - 01:06 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'm lazy, for windows I always Use Mozbackup

What's MozBackup?

MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Sunbird, Flock, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite, Spicebird, Songbird and Netscape profiles.

It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail, contacts, history, extensions, passwords, cache etc. It's an easy way to do Firefox backup, Thunderbird backup ...

But then as I said I'm lazy. I use it to backup from one computer and restore to a new windows install on another also.

I second using NoScript too.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

Doesn't look like Mozbackup is ready for Windows 8 or Linux.

QUOTE:  This program is freeware (even for commercial use) and works on Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hi Buddy215

FWIW I am using it in windows 8. That was how I moved my Firefox favorites and addons and saved whatevers, as well as my Thunderbird Emails and settings to this Windows 8 Computer. I moved them from a windows 7 laptop.

I used the zip version (No Install). For me it has worked great. It did not work for You?

Best Regards

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

The link is a bit Windows centric.  In Linux your profile is stored in the .mozilla folder which is in your home directory.  It's a hidden folder, so choose show hidden files in your file manager to see it and it can then be copied.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

Using the link while on Ubuntu I see this: (Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles | Firefox Help)

Locate your profile folder

The default location of the Firefox profile folder is ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default/.

• xxxxxxxx represents a random string of 8 characters.

You can locate your profile folder using these instructions:

1. (Ubuntu) Click the Places menu on the top right of the screen and select Home Folder. A File Browser window will appear.
  2. Click the View menu and select Show Hidden Files if it isn't already checked.
  3. Double click the folder marked .mozilla.
  4. Double click the folder marked firefox. Your profile folders are within this folder.
Backing up your profile

To back up your profile, first close Firefox if it is open and then copy the profile folder to another location.

1. At the top of the Firefox window, click on the File menu and select Quit

2. Locate your profile folder, as explained above.
  3. Go to one level above your profile's folder, i.e. to ~/.mozilla/firefox/
  4. Right-click on your profile folder (e.g. xxxxxxxx.default), and select Copy.
  5. Right-click the backup location (e.g. a USB-stick or a blank CD-RW disc), and select Paste.

#7 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:29 AM

Hi Buddy215

FWIW I am using it in windows 8. That was how I moved my Firefox favorites and addons and saved whatevers, as well as my Thunderbird Emails and settings to this Windows 8 Computer. I moved them from a windows 7 laptop.

I used the zip version (No Install). For me it has worked great. It did not work for You?

Best Regards

Roger

I use Ubuntu and online email only.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Apologies buddy, I see the content of the link is altered depending on what the detected OS is :)  Clever..  When I click from Windows 7 it gives instructions for Windows 7, when I click from Ubuntu, it gives instructions for Linux.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

No apology needed....I kinda thought that was what you did...viewed in Windows.

I just updated another comp and see that Firefox 26 is now available in Ubuntu.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Will they never stop rolling out new versions of FireFox and just do bug fixes for a while.

Happy Holidays

167 @ June 2015

#11 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Probably shouldn't admit this...but...I'm still using Firefox 20 and Ubuntu 10.04 on the comp I use the most....both need upgrading.

But I'm going to stretch it to next April....I hate to end these most dependable and problem free browser and OS.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

tsk, tsk, tsk!

Well I have upgraded almost everything I use. I keep the latest version as well as signatures on my A/V And Malwarebytes Pro. Likewise with FF & Thunderbird. All the Windows Security upgrades. OTOH Still on Windows 7 on the laptops and main Desktop. Still on Windows 8 not 8.1 on this computer.  I did get rid of its spinning hard drive however. :) :whistle:

Edited by rotor123, 24 December 2013 - 05:47 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users