Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shalterra

Shalterra

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:57 AM

Alrighty, first post here on BleepingComputer, so, please, do forgive me for lacking any necessary information for the problem. I will provide it post haste as requested. 

Now, the problem. Java has gone nonfuntional with no warning or indication. There have been no changes, to my knowledge, made on my part. At this point I've deleted and reinstalled Java, previous updates, current,even old versions. All to the same resounding conclusion. Nothing is working. Not even broken in the useful way. Nothing happens. I click to start any Java-based application(Minecraft's Launcher, Java's command console, and any web based applets) and it'll give me the "Loading" mouse wheel for about a tenth of a second, then return to doing...nothing. I've watched the Task manager as I do it, nothing pops up and promptly dissapears. Nothing happens. 

At this point, the only conclusion i've come to is maybe there's a registry error somewhere, but I've no idea how to check, or how to fix it.

I'm exasperated, I've been trying to figure this out for two days now, and frankly, I'm out of ideas.

Running Windows 7 64bit, Currently have Java Ver7Update45(Latest) installed and have reinstalled it quite a few times.

Help?  :grinner:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

It could be that the Java registry settings are corrupt.  Download and install Revo Uninstaller - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/ - and the uninstall all versions of Java using Revo Uninstaller, also removing all remnants of Java that it finds.

Then do a fresh install of Java, both 32 and 64 bit versions, and see if that fixes the problem.

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

Even if you have done any thing listed below Do it again in Do not skip anything from top to bottom complete all of these steps........ !!

Download Adware Cleaner double click it to run it.
Click the SCan button allow it to run

Allow completion

Make sure all items are ticked.

Hit the Clean button.
The program will reboot your machine.
This is normal.
Post the log it creates.
http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner

____________________________________________________________________________________

Begin with this fix it.
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/

____________________________________________________________________________________

Then Remove All traces of Java with Revo free ( if Possible.)
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Lets get rid of all traces of java from your machine that revo left.

Download and install the Windows installer clean up utility.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html

Then open the file.
Hit the start button.
Left click my computer
Double click the C: drive.
Program files.
Windows installer clean up.

Select the Msicuu app.

Remove any thing related to java.

Reboot your machine.

Download the All in one Repair Tool Run the program vista/win 7 users please right click and run as admin.
Go to step 4 and create a backup of your registry this tool involves changing registry keys and it is just a good idea to back it up.
Now go to the start repairs tab and run it with the following boxes checked.
When running this tool disable your antivirus.

Reset Registry Permissions
Reset File Permissions
Register System Files
Repair WMI
Repair Internet Explorer
Repair MDAV/MS Jet
Repair Hosts Files
Remove Policies Set By Infections
Repair Winsock & Dns Cache
Set Windows Services To DEfault Startup
Repair MSI (Windows Installer)

Reboot your machine after the above.

Now Download Everything
http://www.voidtools.com/
Install it type java in the box of the everything tool and hit enter Then go to edit select all right click and then delete.
Some files may resist deletion. This is normal skip them.

After completing the above task then Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it.If TFC doesnt prompt a reboot then please do so manually

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own
folder

• Run JavaRa.exe (double-click for XP/right-click and Run as Administrator for Vista), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then

click Remove Older Versions.

• Accept any prompts.
  • Please Get the latest copy of Java from the link below.
  • http://java.com/en/

Now test your issue.

#4 Shalterra

Shalterra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

Just ran the gauntlet with all of those tests, It's still being nonfunctional. :\

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

Now please run the .net framework repair tool and then see how java performs.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

If that fails to allow java to work then perhaps another program is interfearing with java.

Please perform a clean boot.

• Hit the start button then type Msconfig.
  • Then under the start up tab disable/un-tick all items.Hit Apply
  • Under the Services Tab put a tick next to the box that says Hide all microsoft services.
  • Un-tick all that remain.Hit Apply and Ok your way out of there.
  • Then reboot the machine,into normal mode and see how it responds from there.
  • Let me know the outcome then I post with instructions that are most relevant to your situation.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

What browsers do you use?

You can test Java here and I will quote one article from it: Java Tester - Home Page

Dec 10, 2013: Firefox version 26, now blocks Java by default, which puts it on par with Chrome. The hassle factor of running Java in a browser keeps getting higher. Java is fine for use with installed applications, but its use in web browsers has no future. To run a Java applet in a web browser, this first has to be allowed system-wide in the Java Control Panel, then Java security levels need to be dealt with to permit different types of applets, then Firefox and Chrome warn about Java being dangerous and finally Java itself warns about it being dangerous. Firefox puts out two warnings for each applet. Java warnings are worded in such a way as to be confusing. Want fewer messages? Java, Chrome and Firefox each keep separate whitelists of sites allowed to run Java. Is this a Marx Brothers movie?

EDIT: Another user had problems with Java immediately after installing Kaspersky...a security program.

Edited by buddy215, 23 December 2013 - 12:36 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Shalterra

Shalterra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

I use chrome, and it's not just a browser isolated issue. It''s even for desktop based applications.

Did the mentioned clean reboot and all that, but to no avail. Still just not launching anything.

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Perhaps Buddy215 has more ideas I am sorry I could not help.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'm surprised all the uninstall procedures, cleanup and reinstall did not work.

The only thing that might not of been tried other than a clean install of the OS is uninstalling Java again and attempt to reinstall

after exiting/ shutting down all securtity programs. Checking the Java console (if it will open) and making sure Java is allowed to run on the system if 

that hasn't been done.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

Another thing that I found from one of my old threads in another forum,this worked for the user i was helping...........

• Hit the start Orb.
  • Right Click My Computer.
  • Select Properties.
  • Advanced System Settings.
  • Enviroment Variables
  • Under System Variables.
  • Select New.

Copy and paste the items after the >>> into their respective area's.

Variable Name >>>>>>>>>> _JAVA_OPTIONS

Variable Value >>>>>>>>>>> -Xmx512M

Then O.K. your way out of there reboot the machine and test your issue.

#11 Shalterra

Shalterra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

Didn't even have to restart. My value was reading -Xmx512  not-Xmx512M. Everything is all dandy now!. Thanks for bearing wit me guys. FOr a first request, you guys have really turned me onto this forum.

#12 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Good to know have a great day. :guitar:

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

FYI: Using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.Although, Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.
* Why You don't need Java
* W3Techs usage statistics and market share data of Java on the web
* Java: should you remove it?

I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it.

If you're going to use Java, many security researchers and computer security organizations caution users to limit their usage and to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in your browsers.
* How to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in common web browsers .
* How to turn off Java on your browser
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users