Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I NEED TO PAY Cryptolocker

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BradME

BradME

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

how do I pay crypto locker?? I lost 10 years of work.. its worth more than 300$$ I can not find anywhere on google or Bing on how to pay!! Can someone please help??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

Hello -

Do you have a RED Screen with a Timer or a Date listed ??

Thank You -

#3 BradME

BradME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

No .. I removed the infection.. I thought there was a website that I can upload the file to extract the public key.,.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

A repository of all current knowledge regarding Cryptolocker is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this tutorial: CryptoLocker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

What to do if your anti-virus software deleted the infection files and you want to pay the ransom!

There is also a lengthy ongoing discussion in this topic: Cryptolocker Hijack program.  

Since this infection is so widespread, rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions or comments in that topic thread.

Thanks

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 BradME

BradME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

other then downloading and reinfection..   can the Russian hackers please set up a site I can pay!!!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

The bad guys read our topics so who knows...maybe they will thing about it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 mictester

mictester

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

No .. I removed the infection.. I thought there was a website that I can upload the file to extract the public key.,.

Sadly, you were misinformed, and you may have removed the software that's necessary to decrypt your files after you've paid the ransom.  There is no way to "brute-force" decrypt your files - the hard drive that they're on will die before any decryption tool will get a result - in several years.

Moral?  Lots of back-ups, and in future, don't use Windows!

#8 Quads

Quads

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

"Don't use Windows has nothing to do with the problem" (from post above).   is not the answer as any malware can be created for the likes of Mac and Linux also.

Quads

Edited by Quads, 24 December 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

Don't use Windows has nothing to do with the problem.  As any malware can be created for the likes of Mac and Linux also.

The current version(s) of CryptoLocker 1 & 2, have only been reported on Windows systems.

In the future these programs may infect other systems, but it has not currently been reported.

Thank You -

#10 Quads

Quads

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

Yeah,  but my point is it is not to do with the Operating System  and telling users not to have or use Windows.     Why, if everyone (or most) went to Mac or Linux then the creators of malware will just mainly target Mac or Linux instead, with the thinking of most users use say mac so will create a Ransomcrypt that runs on mac, to get the most hits.

I know what Cryptolocker is For Windows as I have many droppers of 1, and a dropper for 2 on my system to test the samples when I have time without the use of Sandbox and VM's.

The overall point I was giving is telling users not to use Windows is not the answer.

#11 mictester

mictester

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

"Don't use Windows has nothing to do with the problem" (from post above).   is not the answer as any malware can be created for the likes of Mac and Linux also.

Quads

The naiivity of Windoze (l)users is astonishing.  It's not that malware writers only target Windows - it's just that the viruses and everything else that afflicts Windows CANNOT attack Linux (or any other *nix).  The underlying permissions structure means that the victim would have to explicitly install the malware, and any damage would inherently be limited to the directory the malware resided in.....  It's NOT LIKE WINDOWS - it's not subject to the stupid decisions of Bill Gates - "it's got to be easy to use and stuff must just install itself automatically" - probably the single most stupid computing decision of all time.

The Mac platform sadly compromises the permissions structure of the BSD that it's based on.  This was another stupid decision.  It left Mac open to abuse.

MT

Edited by mictester, 26 December 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#12 mictester

mictester

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

Why, if everyone (or most) went to Mac or Linux then the creators of malware will just mainly target Mac or Linux instead

The overall point I was giving is telling users not to use Windows is not the answer.

Sadly you're very badly misinformed.  The Mac OS can be abused (though it's not easy to do), but Linux and any other Unix (or BSD) is invulnerable to any or all of the virus and malware attack vectors.  It's not that the virus writers haven't bothered to try to write malware for Linux, it's just that they can't.  The permissions structure of Linux (and every other Unix-alike) requires a specific set of instructions issued manually by an administrator to install and run something (and no, unlike Windoze, not everyone is automatically granted administrative rights).

The recent outbreaks of malicious malware, including cryptolocker, a new variant of CIH and many more have persuaded many major corporations and even many governments to move to proper, mature, stable and secure OSs.  Linux is the predominant choice, and the city government here in Munich moved to Linux almost eight years ago.  Deutsche Bank made the move a few years ago and reduced their global server farms from eighty-five machines (running Windoze server 2003) to just three running red Hat.  They also sacked the three hundred IT support staff they needed for their Windows desktops, and replaced them with five Linux-savvy staff....  They haven't looked back!

If "Windows" is the answer, it was a pretty stupid question!

MT

#13 mictester

mictester

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

The current version(s) of CryptoLocker 1 & 2, have only been reported on Windows systems.

In the future these programs may infect other systems, but it has not currently been reported.

No they won't.  Perhaps you need to learn a little about Operating Systems.  Windows makes the assumption that everyone is an Administrator and that if a user selects a programme to run (even if it appears to be something else), Windows dutifully unpacks and executes the code.  There is NO WAY to avoid this insanely stupid behaviour - Windows has no mechanism in place for a proper permissions structure ( a Bill Gates Stupid DecisionTM ) - so these kinds of attacks, viruses, malware and pranks will continue until either Windows is completely re-written or they ditch the NT kernel for good, bite the bullet and take on a Unix kernel (like Apple did for OSX).

If you "run" Windows, you deserve all you get.

Windows - an increasingly irrelevant, poor quality,  proprietary client for a Unix world.

MT

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

Sadly, you were misinformed, and you may have removed the software that's necessary to decrypt your files after you've paid the ransom.  There is no way to "brute-force" decrypt your files - the hard drive that they're on will die before any decryption tool will get a result - in several years.

Moral?  Lots of back-ups, and in future, don't use Windows!

They actually have launched a service which will allow for late payment.  It is mentioned here - http://www.secureworks.com/cyber-threat-intelligence/threats/cryptolocker-ransomware/  and here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/512668/cryptolocker-developers-charge-10-bitcoins-to-use-new-decryption-service/

The ransom for using that service is more than the original ransom.

Edited by jonuk76, 26 December 2013 - 10:09 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 Quads

Quads

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

Quoted from above,

"it's just that the viruses and everything else that afflicts Windows CANNOT attack Linux (or any other *nix)."

"but Linux and any other Unix (or BSD) is invulnerable to any or all of the virus and malware attack vectors.  It's not that the virus writers haven't bothered to try to write malware for Linux, it's just that they can't. "

That is untrue,  ever heard of cross platform malware??   Yes there is malware for Linux, not as common as it for one would not be for the masses as such,  But there is malware for Linux, even Linux themselves say there has been and will be malware for Linux.   These has been a Linux Worm recently and maybe a Windows and Linux  targeted DDOS,  You say I need to learn Operating Systems,  Don't think so.

Even if someone stated that Linux cannot be infected, I could bet a group of bad bunnies would get together to show otherwise.  

Quads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users