Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual boot with ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lost4now

lost4now

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

I am new to ubuntu and linux in general. I have a laptop running Windows 8 that I want to install ubunto as a dual boot. My question is when ubuntu is installed will I have to reinstall my security software (Norton, Malware bytes, etc) in the ubuntu system to protect my computer or will it be ok with it in the Windows only side?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

You will not need any antivirus in Linux as linux is not a major target yet.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

Read the info provided in link below to avoid problems with the Win 8 dual booting and for solutions if 

problems encountered during and after install. UEFI - Community Ubuntu Documentation

Best to run DVD or Flash as Live before installing to see if your computer's hardware is recognized by Ubuntu

as Ubuntu most likely has all the needed drivers but occassionally hardware released after Ubuntu latest release

will have a problem.

Best to defragment Windows 8 immediately before attempting to install Ubuntu or any Linux distro as a dual boot unless 8 is installed on SSD.

Suggestion....allow at least 50 GB for Windows 8 and a minimum of 20 GB for Ubuntu.

If you intend to Upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1 you should do that before installing Ubuntu.

How to Upgrade to Windows 8.1 From Windows 8

Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

As Cryptodan said...You can forgo the security programs. I would suggest though using the NoScript add-on in Firefox and 

not running Linux as root except while installing programs from trusted sources and updating.

Edited by buddy215, 22 December 2013 - 10:18 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users