Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with file encryption

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blaziken_rjcf

Blaziken_rjcf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Hello. My name is Blaziken. This is my first time posting here. I am fairly clueless regarding software, but I'm not a total idiot.

Long story short, I recently upgraded my entire computer, OS included: I went from Windows 7 to 8.1. However, I forgot to decrypt some files on my external HDD's (in fact, I forgot I had even encrypted them). As a result, I can no longer access them (obviously). Thankfully, I didn't format C: when I installed Windows 8.1, and therefore still have the .sys files in a subfolder of the "SystemCertificates" (or something like that) folder. All I need to know is how to use them, either in Windows 8.1 or 7 (my mom's computer still has 7), to (finally) decrypt my files. Some can be replaced, although it will take time, but others cannot and are very important to me.

I thank you in advance for your time.

PS: I didn't post my specs (aside from the OS) because I think it's unnecessary in this situation. If you feel otherwise, just ask and I'll post them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

From this page I believe you are out of luck and the encrypted data is lost.

You can lose access to encrypted files if you install a new operating system or upgrade your current one, or if your current operating system fails. The following steps can help you regain access to encrypted files.

You must have a backup copy of your encryption key and related certificate on a disc or other removable media (such as a USB flash drive) to follow the steps below.

Even though this is for Windows 8.1, I believe the information applies to your situation.

#3 Blaziken_rjcf

Blaziken_rjcf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

From this page I believe you are out of luck and the encrypted data is lost.

You can lose access to encrypted files if you install a new operating system or upgrade your current one, or if your current operating system fails. The following steps can help you regain access to encrypted files.

You must have a backup copy of your encryption key and related certificate on a disc or other removable media (such as a USB flash drive) to follow the steps below.

Even though this is for Windows 8.1, I believe the information applies to your situation.

Thanks for the reply.

Isn't there some way to create a certificate using the keys I already have, or "force" the new OS to accept the keys without the certificate? As I said, I can replace some information, but the rest took me years to create, and most of those haven't been uploaded anywhere.

Edited by Blaziken_rjcf, 23 December 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#4 Blaziken_rjcf

Blaziken_rjcf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

I found a third-party program that was able to use the keys I had to decrypt my files. It's working on them right now. It worked on my irreplaceable files, and is now decrypting my replaceable ones. Mods (or whoever is responsible), feel free to lock this thread.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:20 AM

Can you give us the name of the program you used to help other users in the same situation? Thank you :busy:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 Blaziken_rjcf

Blaziken_rjcf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:50 AM

It was "Advanced EFS Data Recovery" by Elcomsoft. It's expensive, though.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

Thanks For the Program, I will add it to my notes incase I run into a similar problem  :thumbup2:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users