Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat xp...No internet

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Ddng1143

Ddng1143

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

I reformatted my Windows XP and now i am not able to connect to the internet, even with a cable.

After seeing a previous post that said that I might be missing drivers, I do not know which ones i am missing or how to find them.

If anyone could help me connect to the internet ,I would be really happy.

Thanks in advance

ddng

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

I had that problem once myself, and went to a site that gave me the info to fix it. What you must do is :

After Windows is installed, and your various motherboard drivers are installed, and your video card driver, and sound card driver are installed, (if applicable), then :

With your internet cable disconnected, install Windows XP service pack 3. Once that is installed, then connect your internet cable and try going online to update Windopes.

#3 Ddng1143

Ddng1143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

Thank you for your response!

How will I be able to find the motherboard/video/sound drivers and how do I know if I already have them?

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

Well, If You have a separate video card, and a separate sound card, those cards should have come with driver disks. If on the other hand you are using onboard video, and onboard sound, then your motherboard driver disk will have their drivers on it. If you do not have the motherboard driver disk, then what you have to do is :

1) Open up the machine and find out what kind of motherboard is in it. i.e. Make and model.

2) Go online from another machine, (that works properly), and search for the appropriate drivers for your motherboard, and having found them, download them and burn them onto a CD disk.

3) Use the CD disk to install your drivers on your problem machine.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

What is the manufacturer/model number of the computer?

#6 Ddng1143

Ddng1143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

AMD processor 3000+

How do i find out exact model and number?

(Sry if i am making it complicated)

#7 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Open up the case of the machine, and examine the motherboard. It should have the make and model number printed on it somewhere. Usually either on one of the corners of the board, or near the middle, either under the Processor slot, or near the RAM slots.

If on the other hand this machine is a "Brand Name" machine, like "DELL" or "IBM" or some other brand, then look for the model name and number on the outside of the machine.

Edited by JHMcG, 21 December 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#8 Ddng1143

Ddng1143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

Can Piriform Speccy tell me what my computers components are?

#9 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Can't answer that one, cause I have never used it.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

What I need to know is the manufacturer of the computer and the model number. Look on the case or if a laptop it should tell you what it is. If it is custom built system then there will be no manufacturer/model number. At this time there is no need to physically look at the motherboard.

Next question: how did you reinstall Windows? From an XP disk, recovery disks provided by your computer manufacturer or from the recovery partition on your computer?

Speccy will list your motherboard and your network interface device.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 December 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#11 Ddng1143

Ddng1143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

I installed windows from a CD(no recovery or partition).

I think this is custom built since it doesnt say HP,DELL or any brand

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Ok, then run Speccy. You will obviously have to use a working computer and save the file to a flash drive, external drive, or cd disk.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer. When the FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste. This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 December 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#13 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

Then if you don't have the motherboard driver disk, what you have to do is open up the case, and find out the make and model of the motherboard, then once having done that, go online, (with another computer), to the motherboard manufacturers website, and download the drivers for that type of motherboard. Once having done that, burn them onto a disk, and use that disk to install them on your problem machine. 

NOTE : It could be that you are missing the motherboard's "Network Adapter" Driver, and that is preventing you from going online. Though, as I said before, once you have your "Drivers" installed, DISCONNECT your internet cable, and install Windows XP Service Pack 3. Once that is done, reboot once, then shut down and reconnect your internet cable, then try it to see if it works properly, - i.e. updating Windopes.

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

As I stated, there is no need at this point to open up your case and look at the motherboard. Run Speccy first and post the results.

Once we have your motherboard model we *should* be able to direct you to the proper place for drivers. If we cannot get it by running Speccy we can explore other ways of getting it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 December 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#15 Ddng1143

Ddng1143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

Here is what you requested

Summary
Operating System
Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Sempron 3000+ 25 °C
Palermo 90nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Single-Channel DDR @ 164MHz (2.5-4-4-7)
Motherboard
K8NF6G-VSTA (CPUSocket) 24 °C
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1280x1024@1Hz)
Storage
74GB SAMSUNG HD082GJ (SATA) 18 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N
Audio
No audio card detected
Operating System
Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 4/1/2012 12:11:17

Edited by Ddng1143, 21 December 2013 - 08:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users