Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update never completes

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 AgentH

AgentH

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hello,

I am running Windows XP Home Edition sp3.  When I perform a Windows Update and click on the "Express" button, my computer goes to the page that says "Checking for the latest updates for your computer..." with the green box moving from left to right in the progress bar.  However, my computer never gets beyond this point.  The green box continues to move through the progress bar forever.

I have gone to Microsoft's technical support page (support.microsoft.com) and found several web pages that address this issue.  However, after following the resolution steps, Windows Update still gets stuck at the same place.

I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue with my computer.  Thanks!

AgentH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

You can using the Windows All In One Repair Tool and only perform the Windows Update Fix.

#3 AgentH

AgentH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

I downloaded this tool and gave it a try.  After performing the Windows Update fix, I rebooted my computer.  When I tried to do Windows Update, I still have the same problem - it never completes.

AgentH

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

What version of Internet Explorer are you using? Try downloading the cumulative update. I believe it relates back to the svchost problem Microsoft is trying to correct. I had this problem with IE7. I updated to IE8 and it solved my problem but only temporarily until the next update Tuesday. I downloaded the cumulative update and all was well again.

IE7: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41442

IE8: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41404

Reboot and see if you can access Windows update.

#5 EJB986

EJB986

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

Pure coincidence!!!

Googled this problem and landed here!

Downloaded....

IE8: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41404

and all is well :thumbup2:

Have suffered CPU at 100% on and off for a long time....here's hoping.....Thank You :)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the update. Just remember, next update Tuesday the problem may very well re-occur and you will have to download the cumulative IE update for that month before you updating.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 December 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#7 AgentH

AgentH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

I installed the cumulative update for IE8 and rebooted the computer.

The good news is that Windows Update now completes very quickly.  That is, when I click the "Express" button, it only takes about one minute to show all of the recommended updates.

The bad news is that when I click the "Install Updates" button, all of the downloads fail.  It only takes a second or two to tell me that all 15 downloads failed.

Thanks again for your help!

AgentH

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

I would reboot...and go back to the Windows Update site and try to download the critical updates/Express again.  Sometimes...what you describe has happened and it's always corrected for me when I reboot/try again.

Louis

#9 AgentH

AgentH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

This is AgentH again, who started the original post.

I tried to reboot and tried to only install the Express / critical updates.  Same thing - all of the downloads failed.

If I try a custom installation and only select one of the critical updates, then the same thing happens - the download fails.

I tried to run the Windows Update Automated Troubleshooter (the Microsoft "Fix It" tool), which is located at

Windows Update error 0x800B0100(2013-12-24-T-05_24_17P) - Not fixed
Problems installing recent updates                      - Not fixed
Problems installing recent updates                      - Not fixed
Cryptographic service components are not registered     - Not fixed
Check for missing or corrupt files                      - Fixed

Thanks again for your help.

AgentH

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

AgentH,

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702 - Error 0x800B0100 when you try to install Windows Updates or Microsoft Updates

#11 AgentH

AgentH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

I tried the recommendation (link above - Error 0x800B0100 when you try to install Windows Updates or Microsoft Updates).  When I performed Windows Update again, the same thing happened (all of the downloads immediately failed.

I rebooted my computer and tried Windows Update again - same result.

AgentH

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

See this link. Not sure why your Cyrto services could not be registered. Is the service set on automatic as shown in the link?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

#13 AgentH

AgentH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

I tried the automatic FixIt, but that did not fix the problem even after a reboot.

Then I tried a few of the advanced manual methods.

I tried advanced manual method 1, but that did not resolve the issue.

I did not understand advanced method 2, so I skipped it.

I followed advanced method 3 (step 1) and noticed that the GTE CyberTrust Root certificate said "This certificate has expired or is not yet valid".  The instructions say that it should have a status of "This certificate is OK".  I am wondering if there is a mistake with the instructions, based upon what is mentioned earlier in the instructions about the other certificates.  At any rate, I did not understand step 2 of method 3, so I skipped step 2.

I did not understand step 5 of advanced method 4, so I skipped method 4.

I followed advanced method 5, but Windows Update still does not work after rebooting my computer.  I am still having the same problem - the downloads fail.

I did not want to try out advanced method 6.  I am hoping to fix the issue without reinstalling Windows XP.

At this point, I looked at the "Symptoms" section of the instructions.  I do not think that I have any of the symptoms that are listed.

AgentH

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,984 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

I am at a loss as to why you are having this problem and it cannot be resolved. The only thing I can advise is to do a sfc/scannow to check for corrupted system files but it you may need a XP SP3 install disk because it may or may not ask for the CD. There is a way around the need for an install CD but it requires that the registry be edited.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

One other thought. Is it possible for you to do a system restore to a date before this error occured. Just make sure that you copy anything that you downloaded to your desktop from the restore point you chose to another folder like My Documents because I have found that those items can go missing.

Just for grunts, Install Hitmanpro and do a system scan to see if there is a possible infection. Or, you can download Kaspersky Rescue Disk and do an offline scan.

#15 AgentH

AgentH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

I ran HitmanPro, but the only thing that it found was tracking cookies.

Next I ran SFC.EXE /SCANNOW.  When it was finished, I rebooted my PC.  Then I attempted Windows Update and the same thing happened - the downloads all failed.

AgentH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users